Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec EV Wallpod

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you win the prize for unique question of the month! I don't know the answer ... but I can't imagine why any home charger would make any noise. The car itself will make a few (very low) noises sometimes ... Superchargers are a different story though!
Thanks for the replies. My reason for asking is that I live in a bungalow and the charger will be outside my bedroom window. I am worried about sleep being disturbed by any noise.

The noises that the car makes are probably louder than the charge point.

Yes, I would think so too but I imagine that those will not be transmitted into the house as much as those from a box attached to the other side of the bedroom wall. My charge point isn't close to the house so it's not an issue that's occurred to me before but I'm now seeing that it is something to think about!

Thanks for the replies. My reason for asking is that I live in a bungalow and the charger will be outside my bedroom window. I am worried about sleep being disturbed by any noise.
You can definitely hear the clank when power engages. There’s an Octopus Go beta plan that starts at 8:30 pm, so that might be useful (charging while you’re still awake).

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: pharwood and Roy W.

I have the Rolec smart charger, it’s installed on the same wall as the bedroom, in a house. It’s a new(ish) build ~5 years old. The start/stop clunk of the contactors is really noticeable. I was actually just thinking the other day I wish I’d done a bit more research but I had zero experience coming into it so how was I supposed to know.... are some units quieter or are they all the same? For what it’s worth, other than the start/stop It’s silent.

• Informative
Reactions: pharwood
We charged up on the Rolec yesterday and I paid particular attention to the clunk. Its very brief, but much louder than I remembered. But no charge noise I could hear after although a low level hum picked up on recording below that I only just noticed playing it back.

Everyone sleeps different, but if you were a light sleeper and that was outside bedroom window, I would go try and hear one. Personally, I would probably just sleep through it. I wouldn't want it to be a regular thing those.

Its no substitute for hearing for yourself, I put a short 7 sec recording on dropbox. For reference, recording in an underground carpark, but close to entrance, hence background traffic. Phone was inches from charge point. Normal level voice. I didn't do the 'off'.

hth Dropbox - Rolec.m4a - Simplify your life

Visual idea of levels. Speach, click 1, click 2, hum

upload_2020-3-8_11-51-15.png

We charged up on the Rolec yesterday and I paid particular attention to the clunk. Its very brief, but much louder than I remembered. But no charge noise I could hear after although a low level hum picked up on recording below that I only just noticed playing it back.

Everyone sleeps different, but if you were a light sleeper and that was outside bedroom window, I would go try and hear one. Personally, I would probably just sleep through it. I wouldn't want it to be a regular thing those.

Its no substitute for hearing for yourself, I put a short 7 sec recording on dropbox. For reference, recording in an underground carpark, but close to entrance, hence background traffic. Phone was inches from charge point. Normal level voice. I didn't do the 'off'.

hth Dropbox - Rolec.m4a - Simplify your life

Visual idea of levels. Speach, click 1, click 2, hum

View attachment 519413
My old Rolec’s breaker certainly switched with the same loud “clunk”. I don’t think I’d want one on the bedroom wall! The Tesla Wall Connector seems silent when turning on or off, so I assume the switching is solid state, rather than a relay-type breaker.

Maybe a long shot, but I wonder if you could reduce the noise in the bedroom by introducing a layer of insulation between the charger and the wall? Not sure what insulation material you could use, but something soft.

The Rolec is arguably the easiest and simplest charger to support as it uses off the shelf parts. They fell down badly by specifying cheap badged Chinese RCCD's and when these failed, didn't do a complete recall of the lot. The rest of the parts are pretty robust although a few sockets melted as well. Most if not all chargers will clunk at the start of charging as they virtually all use similar contactors, even the Tesla.

Sorry for the thread resurrection.

I have a Model 3 on order and had planned on using my existing Rolec wallpod to charge it. It was installed 6+ years ago when I owned a Nissan Leaf

Reading though this thread I'm not so sure it will work for long before burning out though. Is there anything I can retrofit to it to make it more stable?

Attachments

• D651344D-B72E-4CD0-9CFF-B42B7CDAE08C.jpeg
    D651344D-B72E-4CD0-9CFF-B42B7CDAE08C.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 73
iirc all the internals are available as spares direct from Rolec so worth checking their website for like for like upgraded components.

Thats one of the things I like about the Rolec, everything is very modular and easily accessible for competent persons.

FWIW, all those Rolec units that do not have a Type B RCD, and which were installed with the aid of grant funding, were never compliant. Long before the regs were amended to include EV charging, in Section 722, almost the same wording was in the spec for all grant aided charge point installations. Rolec, and a few others, chose to ignore this, most probably because Type B or Type EV RCDs were expensive. Doesn't excuse them, though, they still broke the rules. IIRC, the requirement for a Type B/Type EV RCD dates back to around 2012/2013, so all grant aided charge points installed after that date should have been compliant. Rather bizarrely, because what's now in Section 722 of BS7681 wasn't actually included in the regs themselves back then, and was a separate note, it didn't apply to any non-grant aided installation. All a bit bizarre, when you consider the risk.

As for the crap Chinese components Rolec use, there's evidence that even the newer, RCBOs, the green writing ones, can burn out. The ones with the blue writing were universally crap, dozens, perhaps even hundreds, of them failed, some coming close to starting fires, as the photo below shows. Best bet is to replace a duff one with a decent brand, i.e not cheap Chinese tat.

Rolec RCBO overheating.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: bitmanEV
FWIW, all those Rolec units that do not have a Type B RCD, and which were installed with the aid of grant funding, were never compliant. Long before the regs were amended to include EV charging, in Section 722, almost the same wording was in the spec for all grant aided charge point installations. Rolec, and a few others, chose to ignore this, most probably because Type B or Type EV RCDs were expensive. Doesn't excuse them, though, they still broke the rules. IIRC, the requirement for a Type B/Type EV RCD dates back to around 2012/2013, so all grant aided charge points installed after that date should have been compliant. Rather bizarrely, because what's now in Section 722 of BS7681 wasn't actually included in the regs themselves back then, and was a separate note, it didn't apply to any non-grant aided installation. All a bit bizarre, when you consider the risk.

As for the crap Chinese components Rolec use, there's evidence that even the newer, RCBOs, the green writing ones, can burn out. The ones with the blue writing were universally crap, dozens, perhaps even hundreds, of them failed, some coming close to starting fires, as the photo below shows. Best bet is to replace a duff one with a decent brand, i.e not cheap Chinese tat.

View attachment 606585

Thanks for the advice. What would a decent replacement be for the picture (B16) I posted above please?