Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec or PodPoint ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an untethered Rolec. Cable (10M) and cable holder can be removed leaving just the unit if away for a period of time. The Rolec (ev.energy) app is all set up for scheduled off peak charging. Reasonably happy with the setup at the moment. :cool:
thumbnail_IMG_1284[1].jpg

IMO PodPoint looks better ;) and you can wrap the cable around it. PodPoint App doesn’t do much.:(
You can wrap the cable around the ROLEC; it's designed with a cable tidy at the top if you have a tethered setup. I like the option to use the lower half to house a weather-protected 13A socket for my power washer, etc. I think the standard white and green colours are a matter of taste; I quite like it but there are lots of other colour combinations available. Mine was installed before the regs changed so it's not a smart unit so can't comment on apps, etc.

I have an untethered Rolec. Cable (10M) and cable holder can be removed leaving just the unit if away for a period of time. The Rolec (ev.energy) app is all set up for scheduled off peak charging. Reasonably happy with the setup at the moment. :cool:
View attachment 463123

Does an untethered charger have the ability to 'lock in' a cable so that it is secured like a tethered one and doesn't need to be removed? It would then give the best of both options, cable flexibility with ease of use.

Does an untethered charger have the ability to 'lock in' a cable so that it is secured like a tethered one and doesn't need to be removed? It would then give the best of both options, cable flexibility with ease of use.
No. It can be removed if its not charging, on mine. But it could be made theft proof with a bit of ingenuity if it were needed.

No. It can be removed if its not charging, on mine. But it could be made theft proof with a bit of ingenuity if it were needed.

correct - no option to lock cable in.

My untethered Rolec is getting swapped out tomorrow for a tethered one - They incorrectly turned up withe untethered at 1st appointment.

Had some issues with Rolec as well so currently using public/3 pin charging - preying tomorrow unit switch will sort the issues out.

correct - no option to lock cable in.

My untethered Rolec is getting swapped out tomorrow for a tethered one - They incorrectly turned up withe untethered at 1st appointment.

Had some issues with Rolec as well so currently using public/3 pin charging - preying tomorrow unit switch will sort the issues out.
I hope it's sorted. I chose untethered to enable me to park anywhere or way on my driveway. I think, from memory that the tethered cable was 5M - I needed longer. :cool:

I got a Rolec and have to say I was very impressed. Only got the definite say-so from Tesla on the Friday that my car was arriving on the Monday and the Rolec installed (McNally Electric) arranged to be at my house Monday afternoon. Showed me how to work the app (ev.energy) which seamlessly smart charges at the cheapest times of the day when you tell it your tariff and it can ensure the battery is warmed up for whatever time you want.

Really impressed - I paid £360 fitted.

Reactions: Roy W. and yak00
I got a Rolec and have to say I was very impressed. Only got the definite say-so from Tesla on the Friday that my car was arriving on the Monday and the Rolec installed (McNally Electric) arranged to be at my house Monday afternoon. Showed me how to work the app (ev.energy) which seamlessly smart charges at the cheapest times of the day when you tell it your tariff and it can ensure the battery is warmed up for whatever time you want.

Really impressed - I paid £360 fitted.
That's an excellent price.