Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec Smart Charger losing connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone else who owns a Rolec Smart Charger have any issues with the unit losing its WiFi connection ?
This has recently started happening and gives the app some very irregular behaviour (saying the car is charging when it’s not as an example)
I can continue to use the charger in a ‘dumb’ state which is fine but when I subsequently raised the issue with the installer they said I needed to pay £145 + vat for a signal booster which seems a bit steep.
I have tried turning the unit off and leaving it for 45 seconds or so before turning it back on and sometimes this works but not that often.
Weird.
The attached picture I took earlier stating the car was charging but at the time it wasn’t.

Attachments

• 0EF90C2C-7B69-45B6-851E-DDC8CCC4F94B.png
    0EF90C2C-7B69-45B6-851E-DDC8CCC4F94B.png
    273.5 KB · Views: 84
My understanding is that is not wifi at all - it's got a sim card in it which is used for the data/app etc. I may be completely wrong - but worth checking before paying for a "signal booster"

I may be wrong - I don't use the smart options at all on my Rolec - I use it as dumb charger.

Reactions: Chalks99
Correct these use a sim card rather than wifi, your installer should have really checked the reception in the area before selling you one that uses the sim only. I don't know whether such booster exists for a sim card system or whether it would work, certainly not if it is a wifi booster (and then that would be very expensive for one).

Reactions: Chalks99
Correct these use a sim card rather than wifi, your installer should have really checked the reception in the area before selling you one that uses the sim only. I don't know whether such booster exists for a sim card system or whether it would work, certainly not if it is a wifi booster (and then that would be very expensive for one).
Yes, you would have thought they would have checked thoroughly beforehand.

Does anyone else who owns a Rolec Smart Charger have any issues with the unit losing its WiFi connection ?
This has recently started happening and gives the app some very irregular behaviour (saying the car is charging when it’s not as an example)
I can continue to use the charger in a ‘dumb’ state which is fine but when I subsequently raised the issue with the installer they said I needed to pay £145 + vat for a signal booster which seems a bit steep.
I have tried turning the unit off and leaving it for 45 seconds or so before turning it back on and sometimes this works but not that often.
Weird.
The attached picture I took earlier stating the car was charging but at the time it wasn’t.
It definitely doesn’t use Wi-fi, it connects with a SIM card. I also use mine in dumb mode.
I just checked my app and it says I’m plugged in and charging- really clever! The cable’s still in the boot, it must be wireless charging! They didn’t tell me about that feature!