Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec smart charger quote, is it reasonable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

just had this quote for a Rolec smart charger. I have a few questions.

1. Nothing about an earthing rod?
2. It only requires 10m so think the 15m is way to much.
3. £100 to test, not sure why they need to charge for that is that normal?
4. £150 for the extra fuse box looks a lot to me
5. The job is not that difficult, about one metre of trunking to hide the cable then straight outside via them drilling a hole.

it seems way more expensive then I thought. I know they bump up the price because of the grant. Was expecting no more then £500 region after grant. I live on the out skirts of London.

thanks
C3CBC1F9-7E3E-418F-A089-B71590440492.png

Looks like about £350 for the installation and testing, if I've got my sums right, but I'm not sure how those figures add up.

I'm guessing that the £600 is the cost of the Rolec, rather than the installation cost, then there's an additional £40 for opting for an anthracite base, bringing the charge point cost up to £640 +VAT.

The figure given for the OLEV grant is the before VAT figure, so the grant is really £500 (£416.67 +20% = £500).

£350 for the labour, cable, parts etc seems pretty reasonable to me. The cable is about £3/m, so knocking 5m off would only be about £15, and my guess is that he's allowed a bit extra for the routing losses (easy to lose a metre or two of cable bending around stuff).

So, adding up those costs so they make a bit more sense, we have:

£640 + VAT for the Rolec charge point, including the anthracite base

£350 +VAT for the installation labour and materials, including inspection and test, lodging the Part P chit, etc.

Less the OLEV grant of £416.67 (ex-VAT) gives an ex-VAT sub-total of £573.33

Adding VAT at 20% gives £688

This looks OK to me on the labour and materials side, for London, although is the Rolec really £600 +VAT now?

Out of that £350 for labour and materials etc, there will be around £30 to £45 for the cable, maybe £40 to £50 for the additional small CU box with RCD and MCB, plus maybe £5 to £10 in sundries, like cable cleats etc. So the labour element is probably around £250, which is roughly a day's work here, maybe 5 hours or so at London rates (London rates are may be up around £350/day now).

• Informative
Reactions: Roy W.
Looks like about £350 for the installation and testing, if I've got my sums right, but I'm not sure how those figures add up.

I'm guessing that the £600 is the cost of the Rolec, rather than the installation cost, then there's an additional £40 for opting for an anthracite base, bringing the charge point cost up to £640 +VAT.

The figure given for the OLEV grant is the before VAT figure, so the grant is really £500 (£416.67 +20% = £500).

£350 for the labour, cable, parts etc seems pretty reasonable to me. The cable is about £3/m, so knocking 5m off would only be about £15, and my guess is that he's allowed a bit extra for the routing losses (easy to lose a metre or two of cable bending around stuff).

So, adding up those costs so they make a bit more sense, we have:

£640 + VAT for the Rolec charge point, including the anthracite base

£350 +VAT for the installation labour and materials, including inspection and test, lodging the Part P chit, etc.

Less the OLEV grant of £416.67 (ex-VAT) gives an ex-VAT sub-total of £573.33

Adding VAT at 20% gives £688

This looks OK to me on the labour and materials side, for London, although is the Rolec really £600 +VAT now?

Out of that £350 for labour and materials etc, there will be around £30 to £45 for the cable, maybe £40 to £50 for the additional small CU box with RCD and MCB, plus maybe £5 to £10 in sundries, like cable cleats etc. So the labour element is probably around £250, which is roughly a day's work here, maybe 5 hours or so at London rates (London rates are may be up around £350/day now).[/

Thanks Jeremy. Do you know if Rolec requires an earthing rod as it’s not in the price so I assume it may not be needed.

You mention is the Rolec worth it now, do you have any other suggestions for good wall chargers? I’ve looked at the Tesla but I know it doesn’t have the grant so would be more.

thanks.

I got a Rolec fitted a few months ago for around £550 (after OLEV grant). It's been reliable although I find I use it mostly in non-smart model. It has no earthing rod but then it is wired into the meter box outside and is earthed there.

Hi

just had this quote for a Rolec smart charger. I have a few questions.

1. Nothing about an earthing rod?
2. It only requires 10m so think the 15m is way to much.
3. £100 to test, not sure why they need to charge for that is that normal?
4. £150 for the extra fuse box looks a lot to me
5. The job is not that difficult, about one metre of trunking to hide the cable then straight outside via them drilling a hole.

it seems way more expensive then I thought. I know they bump up the price because of the grant. Was expecting no more then £500 region after grant. I live on the out skirts of London.

thanks
View attachment 503869
Wow, I paid £399 for my Rolec ...

Looks like the price for the Rolec has been inflated by a fair bit from the above comments. Pre-smart charge points Rolec were definitely at the budget end of the price range, around £350 for a unit, plus installation. £640 + VAT for the unit seems steep to me, so although I think the labour and materials are probably reasonable for London prices, it looks as if the cost of the charge point has been inflated a fair bit.

I’ve had two quotes through this week for the EO Mini Pro. First was £750 and the second was over £1000, both prices were after the £500 grant. Admittedly it’s not the easiest installation due to the position of the consumer unit in relation to the driveway, but it’s still much more than I was thinking/hoping

Looks like the price for the Rolec has been inflated by a fair bit from the above comments. Pre-smart charge points Rolec were definitely at the budget end of the price range, around £350 for a unit, plus installation. £640 + VAT for the unit seems steep to me, so although I think the labour and materials are probably reasonable for London prices, it looks as if the cost of the charge point has been inflated a fair bit.
Thanks Jeremy I was thinking the same. I will continue to get a few more quotes and update on the costs so others have an idea of current prices.