Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec smart charger quote, is it reasonable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think thats the non smart version.

We recently had a non smart multipoint installed (the version with additional 13A socket) in an underground communal car park, and it came to just over £1k - not OLEV eligible. Whilst cable run was short (~10m), the communal 3 phase shared electrics made for an 'industrial' install. Took around 2-1/2 to 3 hours. That included an RCBO at the meter end - main consumer unit was in a flat. The breakdown was 505 unit, 120 RCBO, £300 cable and fitting. All +VAT.

On flip side, we had another recent stupid quite for fitting our Tesla wall connector by non Tesla installer - a company that occasionally advertises on here. In excess of £1700 or £1800 depending on where additional consumer unit/Type B RCD was fitted - I guess they didn't want that job - TWC is already mounted on the wall, just needs connecting up to a 32A circuit. This also included two additional 13A sockets (~40), an energy meter (~20) an isolation switch (~25) a type B/mcb's/enclosure (~180) and earth rod (~cheap). I'm guessing cable (100-150) so maybe materials £400-500 tops. So north of previous quotes that we had at ~1200 and ~1400. Its not a tricky install, approx 10-15m cable run around inside of garage all visible and easily accessible and in words of a couple of these installers, about 1/2 a days work although another electrician did say 2 days!

The grant is a joke. Just allows arsehole installers an excuse to inflate and pocket.

It's exactly the same with all government grant schemes. If you want to see some really inflated prices have a look at the prices that some of the rip off merchants are trying to fleece potential heat pump customers for, knowing that these customers can claim the Renewable Heat Incentive (most of which goes straight in the installers pocket as a chunk of extra profit).

I had a quote to supply and install a small ASHP from one of these rip off merchants. They wanted to charge around £6k to supply and install the thing, when there was already a concrete base for it in place and the heating system and plumbing were all done, so there was just two pipes poking out of the wall plus two cables to connect up. I bought the same ASHP for £1,700, including VAT and delivery, and it took me about half a day, working on my own, to get it installed and commissioned. I'd never fitted one before. All told I think it cost around £2k, including all the ancillary fittings needed for installation. The rip off merchants were going to try and trouser about £4k for half a day's labour. Nice work if you can get it.

This is what I paid for my Rolec last month installed in an external garage using Tidyco, here in Derby.
IMG_0875.jpg

We had our chargemaster installation free of charge with Nissan Leaf. It works fine with our Tesla. I bought a 10 metre type 2 lead to make charging easy on the drive.

It looks like free installation is at an end by the sound of the comments above.

Guys, do not touch Rolec. So many of the earlier ones were breaking almost catching fire. Mine could just about cope with the Leaf and its slow charging but the Tesla has stopped it working many many times.

I had to replace the RCD unit as it nearly caught fire and makes a terrible 50hz buzzing sound that the neighbours have complained about.

Rolec Charger - Dangerous???

Lots of unhappy customers here. Go with an Ohme smart charger instead, the Rolec is just a glorified camp site on off relay and not worth £100 let alone the scammy amount they charge.
5011f3340369bff7e8291f6806266f1c.jpg

rolec.jpg

I too had a Rolec Smart (untethered) installed last September for £363 including OLEV grant. Has been working fine ever since. The smart part is working well too c/o EV Energy App (Rolec) and Octopus Energy. All car charging undertaken between 00:30 and 04:30 at 5p kWh. I throw in dishwasher and washing machine use during this period too using smart sockets from Magic Home and Amazon Alexa. All with not one problem so far. :cool:
xx.jpg

Last edited:
That's a rather sweeping statement - Many many people have Rolec chargers and have zero issues with them. They have also upgraded the internals from the initial batch a few years ago that had issues.

The newer ones have had very few problems. Mine has been fine for 5 months. Zero issues.

Reactions: RichKK and navt
It's true that there were dozens of Rolec charge points that suffered from burned out RCBO neutral connections. It was so bad that I took the time to collate as many photos as I could find of them online last year, and came up with this gallery of failures:

Rolec RCBO overheating.jpg

However, in response to all these failures, Rolec changed their supplier and no longer use these duff RCBOs with the blue printing on. All their newer units should have RCBOs with green printing on, and so far I've not heard of one of those failing.

However, in response to all these failures, Rolec changed their supplier and no longer use these duff RCBOs with the blue printing on. All their newer units should have RCBOs with green printing on, and so far I've not heard of one of those failing.

... my Zappi was installed via a Rolec RCBO in the garage ... so you can't necessarily escape Rolec! Anyway, no issue with the Rolec device to date.

Got a few for quotes through. Most quote on just photos and don’t want to come out to give a more accurate price. They tend to quote the worst case scenario which I feel is a poor service But gives them a big profit margin.

Got a quote for a Tesla charger for over £900 without the Tesla charger? I know there is no grant but for a cost of £1400 including charger is madness for half a days work.

others come in around £700 up to £1000 for a zappi charger.

I will only go for a company that bothers to come to visit the job rather then on a few photos.

can anyone recommend an installer that covers north London?

thanks.