Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec Tethered Charger ... help needed please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I need help from someone who has a Rolec charger or know how they work.
I have picked up my M3P today , and it’s epic ! I’m now trying to charge it and have plugged it in to the Rolec charger that I had installed on Monday. However I just can’t get it charging ! :(
I have made sure that timers are off both the Rolec app and on the car to try and force the charge, but I’m getting nothing. I have a blue light on the Rolec that doesn’t change colour. any ideas ?

My tethered Rolec works faultlessly, HOWEVER as we have no mobile signal here it is only set up as a dumb charger so I don’t bother with the app. When it was installed the Rolec installer told me that the app caused more problems than anything else and would always recommend using it as dumb with the Tesla. And why not since you can do all the scheduling with the Tesla and it’s app.

Reactions: Glan gluaisne
My tethered Rolec works faultlessly, HOWEVER as we have no mobile signal here it is only set up as a dumb charger so I don’t bother with the app. When it was installed the Rolec installer told me that the app caused more problems than anything else and would always recommend using it as dumb with the Tesla. And why not since you can do all the scheduling with the Tesla and it’s app.

That aligns precisely with my experience! I've seen more charging problems related to flaky apps and smart charger software than was ever the case before smart chargers were mandated in order to get the OLEV grant. I'm firmly of the opinion that charge points should be kept as simple as possible, as (with the exception of the early Rolec RCBO failures), simple, dumb, charge points seem to be very reliable.

Reactions: KennethS
How have you got on, Ant? As linked to above, I had the same issue.

Do you hear a click/bang when it goes green? Are you being forceful? As I mention in my topic, giving it a good thump / push into the port works for me every time.

How have you got on, Ant? As linked to above, I had the same issue.

Do you hear a click/bang when it goes green? Are you being forceful? As I mention in my topic, giving it a good thump / push into the port works for me every time.
Hi CJ
I can get it to start charging, but it won’t stay charging and keeps saying that charging was interrupted...
Any ideas ?

Couple of other thoughts,

Make sure you’ve selected an energy tariff in the app, if you’ve already done this try another.

Have you linked/synchronised your Tesla account in the EV Energy app, if you haven’t, see if it helps, if you have, logout of your Tesla account in the EV Energy app.

If the smart settings toggle is on, make sure “Minimise CO2 emissions” and “Only charge off peak” are both toggled off.

No idea if any of these points will help but quick and simple to try.

Sounds like what happened with mine until the installer figured out that the charger had to be registered with the ev.energy server as part of the commissioning --- even if you don't intend to use the ev.energy app. Without that step it would charge for a few minutes and then disconnect. I posted the relevant page in the installation instructions in the other thread.

“Charging Equipment Fault” - Rolec Charger

Hope it helps.

Sounds very similar to the situation I had with my ROLEC; the cable/plug didn't like my car. I could get charging started but even the slightest movement of the plug interrupted the charge. The cable and plug were replaced under warranty. It's been perfect ever since.

PS the plug worked fine on the installer's test rig, just not on my car!

Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciated...

So it turns out that the installer hasn’t activated the unit with Rolec EV ... this was done in a phone call and they sorted it within an hour or so ...

So just when you guys get your Rolec/other brand just make sure that they activate it

Reactions: Chalks99
Thanks for all the input guys, really appreciated...

So it turns out that the installer hasn’t activated the unit with Rolec EV ... this was done in a phone call and they sorted it within an hour or so ...

So just when you guys get your Rolec/other brand just make sure that they activate it

Just out of curiosity, did you have the blue light on the unit, is there an obvious way of telling if the unit/app has been activated?

Reactions: Chalks99