Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolec Tethered Charger ... help needed please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity, did you have the blue light on the unit, is there an obvious way of telling if the unit/app has been activated?
I don’t think we can tell from our end if it has been activator not visually, although I did get a welcome email just after it was activated inviting me to download the app (which I had already done) so I assume this must be confirmation of activation

I don’t think we can tell from our end if it has been activator not visually, although I did get a welcome email just after it was activated inviting me to download the app (which I had already done) so I assume this must be confirmation of activation

So had you logged into the app prior to activation?

Sorry for all of the questions but I have the same charger, I think it’s activated but I don’t get my car until the 9th to try it out.

I can log into the app and it shows that my car is unplugged, where you able to do the same prior to them fixing it?

Reactions: Ant M3
So had you logged into the app prior to activation?

Sorry for all of the questions but I have the same charger, I think it’s activated but I don’t get my car until the 9th to try it out.

I can log into the app and it shows that my car is unplugged, where you able to do the same prior to them fixing it?
Yes I could do all that before the car arrived

Well, I’m assuming so

The test box simulates a vehicle, and runs through every expected mode and fault condition. It also tests that the contactor in the charge point operates correctly and has an indicator shows that power is, or is not, available to the vehicle OBC.

My test box tests for vehicle unconnected, vehicle plugged in, vehicle request for power, control pilot short and a performs diode check to test that the negative going CP is being correctly detected (several makes of charge point fail this bit of the test). The voltage available to the vehicle is indicated, so that when a fault, or the removal of the vehicle request for power load, is tested, the positive action of the contactor to isolate power can be checked.

It's a mandatory requirement to perform this level of functional testing as a part of the inspection and test procedure that's required by the regs before signing off the installation.

If an installer has left a charge point in a non-functioning state, then they have failed to perform the required functional testing, and therefore they've taken short cuts in the installation, inspection and test procedure.

Did you receive an email from EV energy telling your to complete the setup ? mid so you’ll be ok, if not... get on the phone to the installer

Ah, couldn’t remember seeing it but just found this, is this it?

F2E94FC1-8C88-4685-8344-42C7098520C1.jpeg

Ah! Well my Zappi was tested by me plugging in the car and seeing that it started charging ... 30 seconds later the guys were gone!

Not unusual, but frankly wholly unacceptable. It's mandatory that a functional test is performed, as, apart from anything else, the functional testing makes sure that the built-in safety features (could well be life-saving features) are all working correctly. These checks ensure that the contactor opens and isolates power in the event of a range of faults that might occur, including things like the connector being dropped in a puddle, etc.

This is no different to the mandatory functional testing that must be performed on any outlet, to check basic stuff, like the L, N and PE all being wired correctly to the socket, that the switch functions to turn the supply off, etc.

The test box I have has a Type 2 vehicle connector fitted to it, plus four switches for functional and fault simulation, and a 13 A outlet so that a MFT can be plugged in to check that everything is OK at the end of the cable. This also allows normal tests to be conducted, in exactly the same way as any other 13 A outlet in a house would be normally tested, both following installation and for routine periodic inspections through life. Without such a box it's not possible to sign the installation off as being both functional, and far more importantly, safe.

Sounds very similar to the situation I had with my ROLEC; the cable/plug didn't like my car. I could get charging started but even the slightest movement of the plug interrupted the charge. The cable and plug were replaced under warranty. It's been perfect ever since.

PS the plug worked fine on the installer's test rig, just not on my car!

How did you solve this issue? I too need to give the slightest touch to the cable and it disconnects. Today in strong wind I was out every hour to restart the charging.