Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roll back when Drive engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and can maybe help me isolate the issue...

I've noticed in seemingly random circumstances when the car is parked and I shift from Park to Drive, when I lift off my brake pedal, the car will roll backwards as if on Neutral and rolling down a hill. Whenever this has happened, I'm on a flat parking spot, so not sure why we're rolling backwards.

If I hit the brake, the car will stop. If I hit the accelerator, the car will move forward, so its a very controllable thing to get around, but its not consistent so when it happens its never expected.

All it's going to take is one person to park really close behind me and this roll back can end up with me bumping into another car-- albeit at "creep" speeds.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm planning on taking the car into the service centre to have them take a look as well.

This recent thread discusses something similar: Reverse made my car go forward...

I'm still personally unclear on how "Vehicle Hold" / brake hold works in relation to when you shift in and out of park. The manual makes no mention of it.

Can any owners chime in about whether or not Vehicle Hold is engaged automatically when in Park and immediately after shifting out of Park when creep mode is off? (If not, I would think it should be, no?)

This is also why the brake hold feature was implemented. Press down on the brake firmly, and the brakes will remain engaged until you release them with either the brake or the accelerator.

Yeah I'd had a couple of rollbacks before I figured this out. With it I don't find any need for creep and it's more relaxing when in stop-start traffic or at lights.

Reactions: Anto
Just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and can maybe help me isolate the issue...

I've noticed in seemingly random circumstances when the car is parked and I shift from Park to Drive, when I lift off my brake pedal, the car will roll backwards as if on Neutral and rolling down a hill. Whenever this has happened, I'm on a flat parking spot, so not sure why we're rolling backwards.

If I hit the brake, the car will stop. If I hit the accelerator, the car will move forward, so its a very controllable thing to get around, but its not consistent so when it happens its never expected.

All it's going to take is one person to park really close behind me and this roll back can end up with me bumping into another car-- albeit at "creep" speeds.

Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm planning on taking the car into the service centre to have them take a look as well.

Perfectly normal. And feels natural to anyone used to driving a manual transmission car. One of the best features of my Tesla is that it combines all the feel and control of manual transmission without the bad part (shifting gears.) I love this because the car is under my control. If I want it to roll backwards, I reduce gas pedal input. If I want it to roll forward, I increase gas pedal input. Perfect!

Embrace it!

Yeah I'd had a couple of rollbacks before I figured this out. With it I don't find any need for creep and it's more relaxing when in stop-start traffic or at lights.

Indeed, I find the same thing. The brake hold feature is amazing, so relaxing at lights!

To everyone who's wondering: the only time it doesn't hold is if you're shifting into Drive. Every other time you hold the brake to a complete stop it will hold automatically. You should always be holding the brake down when shifting into drive anyway, same as you would on an ICE car.

Reactions: yyzunderdog
I wouldn't be so certain that this is due to creep being off. I have creep on (tight parking garage at my apartment) and have experienced the same rollback as OP.

It's always very slight. The one time I let it roll, rather than hitting the brakes immediately, creep suddenly kicked in after ~6 inches and I started going forward again.

Makes me think it's actually a software delay in commanding the motor to creep.

I wouldn't be so certain that this is due to creep being off. I have creep on (tight parking garage at my apartment) and have experienced the same rollback as OP.

It's always very slight. The one time I let it roll, rather than hitting the brakes immediately, creep suddenly kicked in after ~6 inches and I started going forward again.

Makes me think it's actually a software delay in commanding the motor to creep.

Exactly. I have creep on and it still rolls back a little sometimes. If its a software delay in engaging creep then its fixable but will likely take time.