Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roll back when parking on slope

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was parking today on slope with front of the car facing up. When I tried to drive up to straight out my car, the car roll back. I'm sure my hill hold is on but it was rolling back much faster than I thought. Anyone has experience in this?

I called Tesla and they said I should press on the accelerating pedal harder. I didn't find any problem when I climb up hill. I thought I press hard enough.

Like to have some advice on this...

Lucky no one hurts... thank you everyone

I'm experiencing the same thing. On my previous car (BMW X5), even with the hill hold off, on slopes the car will hold the brake for me for 1-2 seconds. This gives me time to move my feet from the brake pedal to the accelerator. This should be an easy software implementation in the Model X.

On my previous car (BMW X5), even with the hill hold off, on slopes the car will hold the brake for me for 1-2 seconds. This gives me time to move my feet from the brake pedal to the accelerator. This should be an easy software implementation in the Model X.

you dont need to "disable" the Hill Hold at all.

1) stop the car on an upslope (front facing uphill)
2) press harder on the brake pedal until Hill Hold is active (i.e. when the "H" icon shows up on your dashboard)
3) take foot off of the brake pedal. the car stays still indefinitely, as Hill Hold is active
4) when you're ready to move forward, just press directly on the GO pedal without touching the brake pedal. Hill Hold will disable itself and the car will go forward

one thing to bear in mind, you should press the GO pedal to at least a 2/10 (imagive flooring the pedal to be 10/10). otherwise you're basically just disabling the Hill Hold and "not giving" enough power to move the car forward, and it may roll back.

* you can also try this on flat ground to start with. i've gotten quite used to Hill Holding my car at most traffic lights now, it feels much easier on the foot

** if OP is already doing what is described and pressing the GO pedal to at least 2/10, the rollback sounds problematic and probably deserves being looked at. (it hasnt' happened to me personally)

• Informative
Reactions: mkq786 and mattse
you dont need to "disable" the Hill Hold at all.

1) stop the car on an upslope (front facing uphill)
2) press harder on the brake pedal until Hill Hold is active (i.e. when the "H" icon shows up on your dashboard)
3) take foot off of the brake pedal. the car stays still indefinitely, as Hill Hold is active
4) when you're ready to move forward, just press directly on the GO pedal without touching the brake pedal. Hill Hold will disable itself and the car will go forward

one thing to bear in mind, you should press the GO pedal to at least a 2/10 (imagive flooring the pedal to be 10/10). otherwise you're basically just disabling the Hill Hold and "not giving" enough power to move the car forward, and it may roll back.

* you can also try this on flat ground to start with. i've gotten quite used to Hill Holding my car at most traffic lights now, it feels much easier on the foot

** if OP is already doing what is described and pressing the GO pedal to at least 2/10, the rollback sounds problematic and probably deserves being looked at. (it hasnt' happened to me personally)
Thanks for the tips.

One of the hardest things to get used to for me is getting out of a tight parallel parking space while on a slope. In such case, pressing the go pedal takes some getting used to as you cannot press too much (else accelerating too much and hitting the car in front) or pressing too little and sliding backward. All this rinse and repeat forward and backwards a few times to get out of the parallel space all the while blocking traffic while doing so.

One of the hardest things to get used to for me is getting out of a tight parallel parking space while on a slope

well, some spaces are simply not for us.....

I'm sure my hill hold is on but it was rolling back much faster than I thought

I guess there is some misunderstanding here, there is no "hill hold" in Tesla. It's "vehicle hold". It is not the same as "hill assist" / "hill start assist" in other cars. Tesla's vehicle hold is engaged by you pressing the brake pedal a little deeper. The car will not hold the brake for you on a slope if you simply move your foot from the brake to accelerator pedal unless you active the vehicle hold yourself

Your car should not move at all when vehicle hold is on. If it moves while the "H" indicator displays on the instrument panel, head for service. And be careful, it's rather easy to disengage vehicle hold "accidentally".

For those who have trouble moving in or out of a parking space on a slope, you may try practising holding your car still at an uphill spot (e.g. red lights) by the accelerator pedal only, just like finding the friction point in manual transmission. You will then get used to the weight of the car and the amount of "acceleration" you need to cancel out the backward pull by gravity. Or you may try to put the Creep mode on and see which one suits you better

• Informative
Reactions: mkq786
Here is the Owner email:
Tesla recently discovered a potential manufacturing issue with the electric parking brakes installed on certain Model S and Model X vehicles that could prevent the parking brake from releasing. We do not believe this issue could ever lead to a safety concern for our customers, and we have not seen a single accident or injury relating to it. However, in order to be overly cautious, we are going to be proactively replacing these parts to ensure that no issues arise.

Specifically, we have determined that the electric parking brakes installed on Model S and Model X vehicles built between February and October 2016 may contain a small gear that could have been manufactured improperly by our third‑party supplier. If this gear were to break, the parking brake would continue to keep the car from moving, but the parking brake would then be stuck in place. There have been no reports of the parking brake system failing to hold a parked vehicle or failing to stop a vehicle in an emergency as a result of this condition, and this part has no impact on the car’s regular braking systems. We have also determined that only a very small percentage of gears in vehicles built during this period were manufactured improperly.

Our records show that you own a Tesla vehicle that was built during this period. We will soon be sending you an official recall notice by mail, which will include information on how to have your parking brakes replaced. In the meantime, it is safe to continue regular use of your vehicle.

Thank you for being a Tesla customer. For more information, FAQs, and other details related to this recall, please visit the Recall Information page. If you need additional assistance, you can also contact us by phone at 1‑877‑798‑3752 or by email at [email protected]. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Tesla Safety Update

• Informative
Reactions: mkq786