Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roll Call: Who Ordered a P-AWD without Performance Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Chime in if you ordered a performance AWD model 3 without the performance upgrade.
Why are you not adding the performance upgrade?
Why is it worth $11k more to you than the base AWD model 3?

Just looking for open honest opinions. No judgments here.

...performance AWD model 3 without the performance upgrade...

The title and the question are very confusing.

Performance Model 3 is AWD.

Performance Model S used to have an option to pay for an upgrade to "Ludicrous" and its badge would have an underline.

So plain Performance Model S costed less than a Performance Model S with Ludicrous upgrade.

Is this the question about Performance Model 3 without upgrade and Performance Model 3 with upgrade as in the option of Ludicrous?

Performance Model S used to have an option to pay for an upgrade to "Ludicrous" and its badge would have an underline.

So plain Performance Model S costed less than a Performance Model S with Ludicrous upgrade.

Is this the question about Performance Model 3 without upgrade and Performance Model 3 with upgrade as in the option of Ludicrous?
No. It is the option package with wheels, top speed and brakes

No, Ludicrous mode is not an option for the model 3 at the moment. For some reason, tesla decided to name the top of the line model 3 the performance version and on top of that, they offer a “performance upgrade” which includes lower suspension, higher top speed, bigger brakes, bigger wheels, a spoiler, and aluminum pedals.
I’m curious to see who ordered the performance version without the “performance upgrade” and why they chose that.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam and Canuck
I ordered without it. I just want a sleeper demon on the streets- I don’t plan on taking the car to a track/autoX. The alloys underneath the aero covers are good enough with the center cap kit and the stock brakes aren’t particularly that bad to warrant upgrades package either. Everything else is cosmetic.

I didn't have the money to get P-AWD, so I will look on (from my RWD) with envy at the 0-60 in 3.5 of "those guys/gals" who got P-AWD.
It is mostly about 0-60 fun and bragging rights.

Now those who don't get the performance package can envy those with perf brakes and quicker 60-0 times.
(Why is it that we find it so much more fun to go 0-60 then to go from 60 to 0 ? It isn't about the G-forces... It is about accelerating motion.)

Pearl white Model 3 Performance here, without the performance package. I don't care for the carbon fiber spoiler (Get me a white one and we'll talk), I like the darker 18s with the caps, pedal upgrades are nice but I can live without, and I don't autocross so the calipers are not a big loss. I figure with the savings, I'll be able to black out all the chrome, dark tint, and have plenty to play around with in case I did want to do a pedal upgrade or something

It's a funny question for me, as I had "fully made up my mind" and then changed it - more than once, but finally ended up with a performance upgrade and no performance package. To me, it ended up coming down to snow tires, ironically enough. We get a decent amount of snow here in upstate NY, and I have an 2 1/2 hr round trip commute, half of it on back roads.

But started back when I reserved it, hoping for a performance model introduction. My current 10 year old, cost 30K new ICE does 0-60 in about 4.8. The key draw to me on electric is that "right now" power, and was looking for something noticeably quicker. I was hoping performance would be about twice the cost of the base in total, as 70-75K was my budget. When it was originally 78+ another 5 for EAP, couldn't justify the cost, so was going AWD.

When they reduced the cost and broke out the options, it got more complicated. I wouldn't have the spoiler put on anyway, wish I could get 19s instead of the 20s like the non-P option, etc. I'm in the "might take it to the track a couple of times" category in terms of value for the brake upgrades. 145 to 155 not a concern. So originally, I was going to skip it.

Then I flip-flopped to, I should get it. Have the brakes there if I do end up at the track as more details on those came out. The more recent info on suspension did the same. I could always sell the 20s and get some 19s that feel better to me and cost less to replace, etc. Convinced myself it was worth an extra hundred bucks a month, I should just do it.

But then thought about it some more. My current plan is the 18" aeros with snow tires (winter is when I'll need the range boost anyway), and aftermarket 19s with good summer tires. Going back to when "P" was originally introduced as the "all-in-one" and the 18s fit as a choice, that would still be viable after spending the additional 5k on the performance upgrade. Basically, if it was the "old" P configurator, but at 6K cheaper, probably would have sprung for it. But it appears to me at this point, if you spend that additional 5K, 19" will likely be the smallest tires that fit. And my preferred snows (x-ice, or blizzaks as a second choice), don't even come in a size that fits the OEM size 19s, and the aeros are only 18s. For me, while track days are way more fun to think about then driving in the snow - they might happen a couple of times, while I know the snow is half the year every year, so that's where I ended up.

As for the other question on why it's worth the 11K for the base P. I'd say it's definitely not in terms of whatever value I'm getting back from the pinned parts and SW unlock. But it puts me in the price range I had budgeted, and will be noticeably quicker than my car today, where I think the AWD without P would be "different" for sure, but may lack some of the wow factor I was counting on.

It probably isn’t worth it, but I did it anyway. I was planning to order AWD for the improved acceleration. But when I was able to configure the P was split into two options.

I don’t like black interiors. I don’t like large rims. Ride quality suffers too much for my taste.

Still hoping for a suspension or brake upgrade included in the $11,000 option. But I just didn’t want to be locked in to 20s. I guess Tesla caught me at a weak moment. I love acceleration and I wanted an interior other than black; cream would have been my choice. Sooner is better. So I ordered Blue, Aero, White Interior, Performance, FSD.

Reactions: jbcarioca
Sleeper P3D here.

I had never considered a P car. Don't need it, not interested. Performance tires would get shredded where I live (literally, ranked worst in the country for roads) But I got tired of waiting for my deal breaker white seats, and the uncoupling of the impractical wheels made the impractical speed upgrade easier to swallow.

The extra 11K is the price I am paying to get my car this year, since I don't believe non-P white seats will be delivered in 2018. (personal opinion. If I'm wrong, I still have a great car I paid more than I wanted for. LOL)

Reactions: Sg911
Now those who don't get the performance package can envy those with perf brakes and quicker 60-0 times.
(Why is it that we find it so much more fun to go 0-60 then to go from 60 to 0 ? It isn't about the G-forces... It is about accelerating motion.)

Assuming you put comparable tires on the P-AWD without Perf. package your 60-0 time will be exactly the same as the dude with the perf package.

The brakes don't stop the car, the tires do.

The brakes are only a useful upgrade if tracking the car to increase fade resistance after numerous, repeated, triple-digits-speed, stops without time to cool off.

Yeah I got a P3 without the performance package add-on. Didn't want the 20" wheels, (I wanted 19s) and didn't want to deal with summer only tires that break down below freezing temps. Brakes didn't matter to me at all, and pedals/spoiler I could get aftermarket for cheap. Besides, I can get aftermakret wheels and still have the included 18" wheels and tires as either spares, or could re-sell them to basically get the upgraded wheels/tires for almost nothing.

Depending on how you parse Elon's tweet, all performance model 3's get the lower suspension and the $5k upgrade package includes the stronger brakes.

Performance version suspension is 1cm lower & has stronger brakes in upgrade package

I wish Tesla could be a *little* less vague about what the actual specs are and what the content of various packages is.

At any rate, I ordered a Performance version but without the extra performance options. I'm not going to track the car, so the 20" rims would be a liability more than anything (destroyed by potholes, less range, more noise) plus it gets cold enough here in the winter that summer tires turn into drift tires for 2-3 months out of the year when it regularly goes < 40F.

18" on the PAWD seems to be the ultimate blend of street performance, quietness, range, all-year usability, and looks (once you remove the aero covers)

I didn't have the money to get P-AWD, so I will look on (from my RWD) with envy at the 0-60 in 3.5 of "those guys/gals" who got P-AWD.
It is mostly about 0-60 fun and bragging rights.

It is best to do a hard brake 60-15 and then floor it to 45 or so to get the most acceleration motion. + add a twist of the steering wheel if you want. we are auto crossing no?

..I'd get the P w/out the added performance package if I ordered today.
Better wheel, brake + suspension upgrades cost less than that package. you can you put 17"s on a 3 right?

• Love
Reactions: ℬête Noire