Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roll Call: Who Ordered a P-AWD without Performance Upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the worst part of the "negotiations" and "debates" with my wife was that she has held on to the thought that this was supposed to be a "$35k car", and suddenly I'm springing for twice that amount. In fact, quite a few of my colleagues still ask me if I'm getting the $35k version, or the $50k version. To which I respond - yes. Yes, I am...
Been there, done that.
She gets in the last word: "told you so."

Maybe it´s been answered elsewhere, but why doesn´t Tesla offer the performance Model 3 with 19" wheels as an option? For those who do not do track driving and don´t want the performance package,19" wheels with good summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4/4s for example) would be a good choice. If you order the RWD or base AWD model it is offered as an $1500 option.

I waffled on getting the car at all when I saw the initial Performance pricing... but over time rethought and ended up ordering the AWD, with red paint and 19" sport wheels. I don't need a track car and 1 sec faster 0-60 wasn't worth 10k to me :)

Maybe it´s been answered elsewhere, but why doesn´t Tesla offer the performance Model 3 with 19" wheels as an option? For those who do not do track driving and don´t want the performance package,19" wheels with good summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4/4s for example) would be a good choice. If you order the RWD or base AWD model it is offered as an $1500 option.

The 19s with the RWD or base AWD do not come with summer tires, they come with all seasons.

Adding another tire/wheel combo would increase complexity, which Tesla is trying to avoid (see also why the 20s on the P are the same wheel/tire combo they've been selling for other 3s since March as an add-on instead of a custom, wider, setup)

I didn't have the money to get P-AWD, so I will look on (from my RWD) with envy at the 0-60 in 3.5 of "those guys/gals" who got P-AWD.
It is mostly about 0-60 fun and bragging rights.

Now those who don't get the performance package can envy those with perf brakes and quicker 60-0 times.
(Why is it that we find it so much more fun to go 0-60 then to go from 60 to 0 ? It isn't about the G-forces... It is about accelerating motion.)

Performance brakes typically don’t reduce 60-0 times. It reduces brake fade from repetitive aggressive braking, like on a track. Now that the software has been optimized, the wheel grip should be the limiting factor on a single emergency brake.

Reactions: Knightshade
Oh, and I opted for the Performance without the Performance upgrade. I have no need for a spoiler, aluminum pedals, or larger calipers. I’m concerned about larger wheels on range and potholes, based on general concensus of the Model S and larger tires. I don’t care about the appearance and I prefer the added range of the aeros, especially seeing the range hit of the AWD variants. I never intend to exceed anywhere close to 140mph. However, coming from a P85D, I’m looking forward to similar acceleration from time to time. Fingers crossed for an uncorked Performance 3 that matches lnsane Mode but maintains the fun, sporty handling of the Model 3 LR.

Base Performance here. I think the 20" look too big on the model 3 and I already have a set of light 18's wrapped on Michelin pilot 4s with wider tires than what it come with upgraded performance package.

0.5" drop on suspension from the performance package is not enough to for me I will go after market. I would like the spoiler but I could care less about the pedals.

The upgrades brakes I would like to have them but again I can buy a nice set pads and good brake fluid and it would probably be fine. Anyway there should aftermarket options for the stock rotors so I will until some 2-piece rotor come for 18" wheels.

P.s- I didn’t get the $5k Performace upgrade either. I opted for blue with white interior and I had wished Elon would have revealed more or anything substantial about its tremendous benefits for $5k but anyhow tire wheels , and brakes can be found aftermarket ...1 second gain $11k ok lol

I ordered the Performance upgrade because I just had to have those aluminum pedals.

Seriously though, I ordered on 6/29 and at that time, it wasn't totally clear to me what the upgrade entailed, so I looked at it as a $5k insurance policy to ensure I got all the performance oriented features they can come up with. Was pleased to hear there's upgraded brakes and tuned suspension, as I would have felt a little ripped off if it was just wheels/tires upgrade and some cosmetic doodads. Still anxiously awaiting more specifics on the brakes/suspension. And the ultimate would be some kind of "Ludicrous" announcement being included with some uncorked performance--maybe wishful thinking.

Reactions: SD_Engnr
How are you married guys hiding the $11K upgrade from the spouse? "Honey, I know it's $11K, but its really not after the tax credit"?
Hiding? She was the one who suggested it...

Anyway, on topic, I passed on the performance upgrades package for several reasons:

- I don't want those silly, enormous, heavy 20" wheels. They aren't worth the range hit, the NVH characteristics will be strongly unfavorable especially on the awful roads we have (if it's anything like 21" wheels on the S), and they aren't even any wider or forged. My preference is to run 18" Aero wheels on the street and I'll probably swap the stock MXM4 tires out for a set of Pilot Sport 4S tires (I'm curious about what the efficiency difference would be).
- I don't want or care about the stick-on spoiler or aluminum pedals
- I view the top speed increase as pointless, especially since the car is unlikely top 145mph even on the fastest road course out here
- Tesla was very unclear about the brakes at the time I ordered. While the upgraded brakes would be nice, I was disappointed when photos started circulating and people were told that the upgraded brakes don't fit inside the 18" wheels. If I remember correctly, BMW includes 360mm front rotors on the base model of the M3 with 18" wheels. Either way, the Model 3 will primarily be a street car, so just changing the pads and brake fluid would likely be adequate for a little bit of fun. If I want a track car, I can always buy another old Miata for less than this package costs.
- Lower suspension hadn't been confirmed when I ordered and, frankly, I don't trust Tesla to actually do anything meaningful on the suspension front. If I want improved suspension, I'll go aftermarket to save myself the trouble of the rest of the stuff in the package--the MPP adjustable set sounds pretty nice.

The only wildcard at this point is whether Tesla is going to have any special software tweaks/modes for the performance version and whether those will be restricted to the upgrades package or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: wallet.dat
I'm curious why you are switching from an S to a 3?

I know I’m not the one you asked but I’m switching from an S to a 3 also. The S is just too too big; too wide. A bit of a boat. I want something smaller, more nimble. My S is AP1, pre-facelift. I considered getting a new S, with bio-weapon defense mode, AP2 and I just can’t justify the price for me. What I’m selling my S for would cover the AWD 3, so I’m just paying for the $11,000 performance upcharge.

Search on his name in this forum. He's got a couple of threads with large, well explained write-ups about it, the pluses and minuses he's seen so far. It mostly boils down to "more nimble, more modern, don't need the extra size/volume of the S".

P.S. He's already got a RWD 3. I assume he'll be selling that one?

Reactions: Carl_Drogo
I ordered the P without the Performance package.

The only thing of value to me in that package would be the upgraded brakes. 20" summer tires require a second set of wheels in northern climates, which is not something I want to deal with. I don't want the spoiler and aluminum pedals can be bought for $30 off Amazon.

I wish they offered the 19" wheels with all-season tires... I may upgrade to the T-Sportline 19s.

Search on his name in this forum. He's got a couple of threads with large, well explained write-ups about it, the pluses and minuses he's seen so far. It mostly boils down to "more nimble, more modern, don't need the extra size/volume of the S".

P.S. He's already got a RWD 3. I assume he'll be selling that one?

Yes, thank you.

My father will be getting the RWD Model 3 (to replace his BMW 3 Series, no less). Originally, I planned to keep the RWD until the Model S had a refresh, but I like it a lot more than I expected. My wife's SUV is coming off lease early next year, so I may replace it with a Model X. I feel like a Model 3 (for when you want a smaller, sporty car) and a Model X (for when we want the kids plus parents/in-laws or need storage) is a good combo. I think a Model S with a Model X would be excessive in terms of two large vehicles for my family's needs.

Reactions: Maximilien
I ordered the performance model without the upgrade as I do want that 0-60 but also wanted the most practical car I could configure. I have a steep driveway plus a lot of speed bumps and pot holes nearby so really didn't want the 20" rims or lowered suspension. I think i can live will the look of the 18s without hubcaps but may switch the stock tires for my pick of summer tires at some point.

My order moved onto the "drafting up your contract" stage tonight so hopeful I'll have my car soon.

AWD Performance (no performance upgrade pack)
Pearl White
Not a current owner
Reserved online 4/1
Los Angeles

Reactions: Alketi
I ordered without it. I just want a sleeper demon on the streets- I don’t plan on taking the car to a track/autoX. The alloys underneath the aero covers are good enough with the center cap kit and the stock brakes aren’t particularly that bad to warrant upgrades package either. Everything else is cosmetic.
I'm with you on this one!!