TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Roll race Video vs supercharged mustang

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by cOoTeR, Dec 9, 2019.

1. cOoTeR

cOoTeR Member

A guy had a supercharged mustang that made 650whp. He was reluctant to race because he knew he'd have traction issues. So we did a rolling start from 40mph.

Mustang was supercharged, manual trans and on nitto drag radials.

• Like x 1
  2. JasontheBeaver

JasontheBeaver Jason Barker

Wow, he still lost traction!

3. Solmors

Solmors Member

Whats the point of having 650hp, and I'd assume 600ft/lb torque, if you don't have the traction to use it...

This is why I take stated 0-60 times with a grain of salt, especially for RWD and manual vehicles. If you shift wrong, or slow, or its a little wet out, or you don't have racing slicks on, etc all will put you well under the manufacturers stated time.

Meanwhile I'm over here getting 3.2 the first day I got my car. Feels good!

• Like x 1
  4. TyH2009

TyH2009 Member

I used to own a 710rwhp/740rwtq twin turbo G8 GXP and on street tires I couldn't hook below 50 mph, 40mph in 2nd gear would have been a spin fest.

• Love x 1
  5. AlanSubie4Life

AlanSubie4Life Efficiency Obsessed Member

It's really nice to have a nice low amount of torque to the wheels with a Performance Model 3. No worries about wheel spin in a straight line in good conditions; the torque is insufficient (but plenty sufficient for accelerating at a brisk clip)!

6. byeLT4

byeLT4 Member

Awesome!

Oh, and in before- 'YoU cAnT BeAt A 650 RwHp CaR iN a PeRfOrMaNcE 3 FrOm a FoRtY RoLl' comments :p

• Like x 3
  7. CXNperformance

This is why I sold my Big Turbo Focus ST, I only had 450whp with 19" wheels and Michelling pilot sport tires, was never able to hook below 40mph, this video was in 3rd gear flooring it at 50mph, you can see how quickly the RPM and MPH gauge go up and no traction. Now my LR AWD with less hp and heavier is more fun to drive.

8. bpobill

bpobill Member

Because everyone likes different things. It takes a lot of skill to drive a high power rwd car. The exhaust noise, tire spin, and finally getting the tires to hook are very addicting. Its fun mashing the gas and going sideways from all the torque. I love my model 3 sleeper but there are many aspects of ice vehicles I miss too.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. TyH2009

TyH2009 Member

Yep, some won’t understand.