Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolling back when too close?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parking my 2019 LR AWD in the garage is a tight fit, so when I’m pulling in the proximity sensors are doing their thing and I always get the Stop warning.

Once I take my foot off the accelerator the car always rolls back an inch or two. I’m on flat ground and the car is set to hold. The car is still in drive. I’ve never noticed any roll back anywhere else when parking or stopping.

Is this a function of the proximity system, to try to keep me from hitting something? It’s hard to think that something is wrong when I haven’t been able to duplicate it, but I don’t park it close like this anywhere else.

Interesting. I'm curious, what kind of spot requires you to park within an inch of the wall?

This is actually the same situation in my garage, I'll be parking just and inch or two away from my garbage bins and the workbench. It's just a single car garage with barely enough room to get an actual vehicle in it.

OP, I don't have my M3P until the end of the month, but I'll let you know my experience with it at that time.

Reactions: oreobbq
Use Hold Mode. As HAL2001 implies the car is simply rolling "down hill" in Creep Mode and has nothing to do with the ultrasonic sensors.

In a nutshell Creep Mode is an attempt to imitate a torque converter but of course it isn't one. Strange that an inherent problem with torque converters (creep) has become a standard way to drive for so many people despite all the finder benders it causes.

Last edited:
Use Hold Mode. As HAL2001 implies the car is simply rolling "down hill" in Creep Mode and has nothing to do with the ultrasonic sensors.

In a nutshell Creep Mode is an attempt to imitate a torque converter but of course it isn't one. Strange that an inherent problem with torque converters (creep) has become a standard way to drive for so many people despite all the finder benders it causes.

Creep mode moves the car forward like a torque converter, not backwards as far as I know. I was a little surprised a day or two ago to see the Model 3 in front of me roll back about an inch before going forward when the light turned green. I didn’t think Tesla’s did that.

Creep mode moves the car forward like a torque converter, not backwards as far as I know. I was a little surprised a day or two ago to see the Model 3 in front of me roll back about an inch before going forward when the light turned green. I didn’t think Tesla’s did that.
Creep mode allows it to free roll downhill in Reverse and if that is backwards then it rolls back. Hold mode locks the brakes and doesn't allow the car to roll forward or backwards.

EDIT: Also it can be in Roll mode and it will also free roll in Drive (backwards or forward). Probably what the Tesla in front of you had selected.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001
Thanks for the comments. Recycle bins and a step from the house to the garage make it tight, plus trying to stay away from the other vehicle in the garage so the kids can walk between them without scratching it! I will agree there is a slight slope in the garage, but the car doesn’t roll back on similar slopes. It’s not in Creep, it’s in Hold.
In any case, it’s predictable so I just deal with it.

Parking my 2019 LR AWD in the garage is a tight fit, so when I’m pulling in the proximity sensors are doing their thing and I always get the Stop warning.

Once I take my foot off the accelerator the car always rolls back an inch or two. I’m on flat ground and the car is set to hold. The car is still in drive. I’ve never noticed any roll back anywhere else when parking or stopping.

Is this a function of the proximity system, to try to keep me from hitting something? It’s hard to think that something is wrong when I haven’t been able to duplicate it, but I don’t park it close like this anywhere else.

I don't get quite that close (approximately 30 cm) but I do get a bit of a rollback. That said, my garage definitely has a slight slope so I assumed it was related to that and hadn't paid much attention to it. I also have the room to roll back an inch without thinking about it though.
To test it, you could try backing in and see if you roll forward instead of backwards. That test would give you confirmation if this is all that is going on.

Thanks for the comments. Recycle bins and a step from the house to the garage make it tight, plus trying to stay away from the other vehicle in the garage so the kids can walk between them without scratching it! I will agree there is a slight slope in the garage, but the car doesn’t roll back on similar slopes. It’s not in Creep, it’s in Hold.
In any case, it’s predictable so I just deal with it.

I find that there’s a slight delay after stopping before Hold engages, so rolling a couple of inches doesn’t seem unusual. Does Hold engage after the car rolls backward?

Creep mode allows it to free roll downhill in Reverse and if that is backwards then it rolls back. Hold mode locks the brakes and doesn't allow the car to roll forward or backwards.

EDIT: Also it can be in Roll mode and it will also free roll in Drive (backwards or forward). Probably what the Tesla in front of you had selected.

Ah, you’re probably right, as he wasn’t in reverse, must have been roll mode. Wasn’t aware of roll, just hold (my preferred) and creep.

Automatic hold mode is not even available on my 2018 MX. It only has the option of creep mode on or off, so it can roll freely when creep is off unless you manually engage hold by pressing the brake pedal briefly. I prefer the auto hold mode on the Model 3.