TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rolling back whilst in Drive

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by stu222, Jun 26, 2018.

1. stu222

stu222 New Member

Are there any ill effects to either the electric motor or the drivetrain to rolling back whilst in Drive, on a hill for example.

My drive is on a slope, and while manoeuvring into a space the car will often roll in the opposite direction to the gear I’m in.

Are there any long term issues with this sort of use?

2. tranzndance

tranzndance Member

I wish there were ill effects so Tesla would be motivated to change the software not to let the car roll in the opposite direction to what is expected. My concern with this behavior is it could cause a collision.

• Like x 1
  3. Ande

Ande Member

No, there are no ill effects whatsoever.
    Enabling creep mode will prevent the rolling back.

Rolling back is a convenient thing, when parking or doing an 3-point turn uphill, you don't need reverse.
    Being able to roll back while in drive also improving safety, as driver do not need to "find" neutral to still have steering when the car starts to slide backwards down a icy/snowy hill.
    Finally, in winter/snow/ice, cars can easily do a sliding 180° turn , which requires another one to recover , and depends on the wheels to have traction (be allowed to roll backwards) after the first 180.

It's easy with a manual transmission and clutch, and by allowing wheels roll backwards, it's equally easy with a Tesla.

That said, for warmer climates, this could be a user setting.

• Like x 1
  4. stu222

stu222 New Member

Thanks Ande,

Just need creep mode in reverse gear now!

I usually reverse onto my drive and yesterday I gave it a little too much accelerator and nearly parked in the lounge. I'm sure it's just a case of getting used to it as I have only had it just over a week. I then rolled forward while still in reverse and it got me thinking if it was ok.

So, thanks for putting my mind at rest.

5. csanders90D

csanders90D Supporting Member

This just depends on how steep the hill is. I frequently go up a steep hill that will roll back even with creep on.

• Like x 1
  6. .jg.

.jg. Member

I have experienced this - and a hill doesn't have to be incredibly steep for gravity to overcome creep mode. I would like the car to resist rolling in the direction opposite to the gear selection or perhaps, an optional setting to have Hill Hold activate automatically when the car comes to a stop and it senses that it is on a hill.

7. SSedan

SSedan Member

I thought the AP equipped cars did hold the brakes a second, not sure where I got that idea though, can only presume on the forum.

The pre-AP cars the car can not control the brakes so.............not doable.

8. cmaster

cmaster Member

If you hit the brakes and don't release for about 3 seconds, the car will have the "H"(Hold) in the dashboard indicating that it is OK to let go of the brakes. This will keep the wheels locked until you press on the accelerator.

It also happens at a stop light as well. Don't need to be on an incline.

9. .jg.

.jg. Member

Mine has AP but will roll back when in Drive and on a steep hill. I have to invoke Hill Hold with the extra push on the brake pedal, as described by cmaster. I would really like an option whereby that could be automatic, if the car is on a hill, in Drive and about to roll backwards.

10. Testwa

Testwa Member

No, I don't think so, it shouldn't matter if you are in R or in D when rolling backward.
    The only thing I could think of is that in general the transmission is designed that the engine is driving the wheels and not the wheels are moving the engine. But in normal driving when decelerating without breaking I think the stress to the gears should be much higher than at low speed rolling a little bit backward and also the Tesla is designed to do recuperation when decelerating.

So I would have no worries at all that there could be any damage when rolling backward in D mode.