Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolling, coasting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree with this. The difficulty/near impossibility of coasting in a Tesla is a flaw. Tesla’s one-pedal driving was an innovation that has since been superseded, notably by VW group cars.

Here‘s my thinking. Because both acceleration (or using the accelerator to keep a constant speed) and regen are not 100% efficient, forward momentum is extremely valuable in an electric car. The ability to coast--neither directing power to the wheels nor regenerating power from them—is extremely important, basically allowing the car to continue moving forward without using any energy for the purpose. However, while coasting you'll want regen to be applied where needed. Cars like VW simply automate that process: the car sees other cars and cyclists in front, it knows the current and upcoming speed limits and the road layout and it applies regen as needed in the situation. If, for example, you're coasting at a speed that will lead you to run into the car in front of you or that will be too fast for the roundabout you're approaching, regen will automatically be applied to keep your car at a safe distance from the car in front or to be able to go through the roundabout. It will take off just the speed that is needed and not more. Whereas with one-pedal driving, you're constantly overshooting in both directions (applying too much juice, scrubbing off too much speed). It is also much more relaxing to be able to coast rather than constantly having to have your foot either pushing the accelerator or easing up on it.

in these cars, it’s like this:

accelerator depressed: car accelerates or maintains speed
foot off accelerator: car coasts with intelligent regen based on sensors, road layout, etc.
brake depressed: car adds additional regen and, eventually applies brake
Superseded in what way?

The ID.4 for example still has a lower efficiency than the Model 3 LR.

Agree with others than this takes a few days to get used to, then it is totally a non-issue.

If you want to coast in Neutral a 2017-2023 Model 3/Y, you can shift into Neutral by pushing the right stalk up "halfway" (to the first detent) and holding it there for ~1 second.

If you're reading this in the future after the stalks have been removed from the Model 3/Y, I'm not sure if there's a way to shift into neutral while driving. (I'd be curious to know if it's possible to shift into N via the screen or if Tesla locks out this ability when traveling over a certain speed.)

If you want to coast in Neutral a 2017-2023 Model 3/Y, you can shift into Neutral by pushing the right stalk up "halfway" (to the first detent) and holding it there for ~1 second.

If you're reading this in the future after the stalks have been removed from the Model 3/Y, I'm not sure if there's a way to shift into neutral while driving. (I'd be curious to know if it's possible to shift into N via the screen or if Tesla locks out this ability when traveling over a certain speed.)
It is possible:

1) If going over 5mph in the new S/S and you swipe the left side of the screen a "N" button will show up.

2) You can go in to the controls menu and there is an option to put it in to "N" there as well

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
there's not really any legitimate reason to shift into neutral at speed.

1694040957391.gif