TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Rolling windows down remotely

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by AnarchyEOD, Aug 18, 2018.

1. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

Why isn’t that a thing? Would be nice to roll the windows down remotely... someone who has twitter tweet the Musk for me!!

• Like x 2
  2. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

This used to be a feature on the S, I believe, invoked by pressing the top of the fob in a certain way. Folks were finding; however, that they sometimes inadvertently rolled their windows down if they knelt down and pressed the fob while within range of their car. In such cases, people were, say, walking out to their cars in the parking lot at work to find their windows down, often with unfortunate consequences on inclement days.

Also, the ability to activate the AC remotely tends to serve the same purpose for cooling the car.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. drawfour

drawfour Member

Sure. But what about being able to remotely roll up the windows if you forgot and left them down?

• Like x 2
  4. brandonee916

brandonee916 Member

This is the exact reason a bunch of BMW owners have been wanting to disable this feature via coding. Some fellow owners actually put the key fobs in a holder that is reversed so as to block the buttons from accidentally being pressed.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

I see your point, but if you can find a way to roll windows up or down within the app without knowing... I’m not sure what to tell ya. I love the phone key, and even if a fob becomes available I wouldn’t get one. If this is my biggest gripe about the car, then I’d say Tesla is doing alright.

• Like x 2
  6. GPinzone

GPinzone Member

So don't allow it from the fob. Allow it from the app. Like the frunk/trunk release, there's a confirmation dialog that comes up incase you accidentally click it.

7. Knightshade

Knightshade Active Member

FWIW even when I've had cars that let you roll down with remote they never allowed rolling up- word on the forums was legal liability of catching a kids arm in a window or some nonsense.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

That’s why you have two of them. I’m kidding, kinda.

• Funny x 2
  9. Standroid

Standroid New Member

FWIW My dear departed 2010 VW Sportwagen TDI allowed me to open and close all windows from the fob. It was configurable from the service menu. I'll bet the window motors use a lot less juice than the A/C does.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  10. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

All I have to do for my Infiniti to roll down the windows remotely is to hold the unlock button down for several seconds. I like the feature and hope tesla allows it via the app.

A bit concerned hearing owners discovering their windows rolled down without any input from them. Would be nice to have a notification in-app alerting of this.

• Like x 2
  11. AnarchyEOD

AnarchyEOD Member

Exactly, there might be times where it’s not blazing hot and rolling the windows down is enough. Obviously, you have to be smart about it.

12. drawfour

drawfour Member

The legal liability would surely be with the person who pressed the button without having an unobstructed view of the vehicle, not with the company who made the car.

• Funny x 1
  13. drawfour

drawfour Member

Even if you want to use the A/C, it might be less expensive energy-wise to roll down the windows, blast the fan on high (without A/C), then roll the windows up and turn A/C on. I read once that the "optimal" way to quickly cool a car was to open a door on one side, then open and shut the door on the other side a few times, as a way of forcibly pushing the hot air out of the open door, then turn the A/C on, as opposed to just turning A/C on right away.

• Like x 1
  14. Knightshade

It really wouldn't.

If the company could reasonably foresee someone might get injured/caught by an auto-up window trigger able by someone who can't see the window is clear then they could potentially be legally liable.

See also the many many many thousands of consumer liability lawsuits for things even dumber than this example.

15. Knightshade

VW pretty clearly gave not a crap regarding legal liability- especially on diesel cars :)

My similar-era Lexus IS350 on the other hand you can roll em down with the remote, but not up, for liability reasons. In OTHER countries (less lawsuit happy) the same car, with the same remote, can roll them down AND up.

You can also disable the roll-down, which many did, exactly because of reports of people coming out to their cars with rolled down windows they didn't ask for because the fob got pushed in their pocket at lunch or something. (Personally I just carry the credit card key, not the fob, so not an issue for me, but I can see how it could be for the fob folks)

• Informative x 1
  16. GSP

GSP Member

LOL.

As far as I can tell, in the US, who caused the incident is not a factor. Instead, the entity with the most money is the one sued.

GSP

• Funny x 1
  17. Zextraterrestrial

this is one feature i really miss on the S. I did use it quite often while it lasted, on sunny days I'd open all of the windows as I was approaching my car to let the extra hot air out that the sunroof vent didn't

unfortunately there were just a few people that ruined it for everyone. not sure why they didn't just change it to a long press on the frunk button rather than on the roof button as it was

• Like x 1
  18. forkee

forkee Member

good idea. it could use the rain sensors to roll up windows automatically if it starts to rain. might not work in light drizzle but its better than nothing

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  19. pdxgibby

pdxgibby Software Engineer

I tweeted this to Elon a couple years ago. It's one of the features I miss most coming from my Audi.

Audi allowed the remote to be configured to allow a long hold of the unlock button to roll down the windows and vice versa from the lock button to roll them up. Unfortunately, you had to be within RF range to do it. It was still a nice feature.

Would love to have this ability in the app.

20. Rich966

Rich966 Member

I think that being in RF range is the difference here for the liability with rolling them up.

• Like x 1