Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rolls-Royce wants to make an electric Phantom

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...It noted the car was much smoother/quieter than the V12, except with a bit less power.
That's probably just from a comparison of the published peek-power numbers rather than how the car actually felt/performed. Again, I think a better metric would be something like torque integrated over the rev range (i.e. the area under the curve), which interestingly would have the units of power.

It is too bad that RR customers are reported to not be interested. I would of thought RR EVs would be superlative town cars, and owners could take their "old" RR to their country homes. I have to believe this would be very compelling to Prince Charles, his father, and like minded wealthy people.

Of course, Rolls needs to use two (or three!) Model S battery packs to get a more compelling product with 200-300 mile range. An efficient Model S motor and inverter (maybe one per axle) would also help.

I can hope that Bentley will see this opportunity, partner with Tesla, and really show Rolls up!

GSP

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20110331/CARREVIEWS/110339988

luxury car of the future. The 102EX flows along beautifully, smooth and buttery, silently floating over the road with tons of power and torque to spare. It's even more quiet and smoother than a V12-powered Phantom, if you can imagine such a thing

I wonder what they are with this car? They were going to tour the world with it for customer iinput (full AW article has more on this). Would be great if Tesla could supply a drivetrain for them.

Last edited:
Sigh. When I first read about this I was envisioning the Piccadilly Roadster Phantom I styling from 1927:
How Long Would You Own a Rolls-Royce?

Modern Rolls Royces just aren't that pretty.

Well, anyway, what is making this prototype so heavy? Heavy body design? Heavy battery chemistry? They should get better than 125 miles range on a 71 kWh battery.

I can't imagine the customers will complain about the technology -- slience is golden in a Rolls.

Its acceleration and utter silence were highly praised, but “on the other hand, the charging times are not acceptable, and the range is not acceptable,” says Müller-Ötvös.
Even if money/price is not a problem, building an EV with decent range and charging times is a tough job. Good for Tesla that they have the lead on range and propagate 90kW QC (though proprietary :mad:)

Sigh. When I first read about this I was envisioning the Piccadilly Roadster Phantom I styling from 1927:
How Long Would You Own a Rolls-Royce?

Modern Rolls Royces just aren't that pretty.

Well, anyway, what is making this prototype so heavy? Heavy body design? Heavy battery chemistry? They should get better than 125 miles range on a 71 kWh battery.

I can't imagine the customers will complain about the technology -- slience is golden in a Rolls.

What makes the prototype so heavy? The fact that all Rolls are heavy. The regular Phantom is 5800 pounds, has a Cd of 0.37 and is huge.
I think 125 miles from 71 kWh makes perfect sense given the specs.

I dont think a 6000 pound car with a 0.37 Cd and huge frontal area could go 300 miles even with a Tesla drivetrain.
I bet that the 85kWh pack would barely manage 150 miles in that monster.

Why would Rolls limit themselves to one 85 kWh pack? Two would be more appropriate, and their production date may allow use of 4000 mAh cells as well. This seems like a clear path to a great future for Rolls.

GSP

Yeah, if money is no object, given its wheel base and Tesla packaging, they could put 200 kWh under the floor and AWD, and still not lose any passenger or storage space. Probably would gain some. Probably would want a 200 kW or better charger, though.

Wouldn't they have to completely redesign the frame and body of the car in order to fit a Model S battery ( or a double stack version ).

My guess is that they are not willing to do that.

I think they could only fit 71kWh of batteries in the easy to access spaces left by deleting all the old drivetrain and thats as far as they were willing to go.

I think they could only fit 71kWh of batteries in the easy to access spaces left by deleting all the old drivetrain and thats as far as they were willing to go.

Yes that's the usual conversion approach. Tesla illustrates with Model S that you have to redesign from scratch to get to great results. I think that Rolls Royce is well aware of that. So building one conversion and then stopping that for range/charge time reasons is a statement that puts a stop to the "let's do a conversion" approach.
We all agree here that RR is the ideal brand to do a full-electric, no compromises, luxury sedan/convertible/landaulet (with the exception of aerodynamics :)) and sometime in the next 20 years they will try or go belly up.