Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Romford new Tesla charger station - different adaptor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello
I just tried to charger at the new Tesla station at the Liberty shopping centre in Romford. I have a Tesla model S 2016.
The adaptor/plug is totally different to any I have seen before and doesn’t fit my car. I have tried Googling adaptors etc but can’t seem to find out what I need, can anybody advise please? Seems to be like Apple now need a different cable.
Thanks

Attachments

• D14C29D4-0AA8-47E2-827C-5BBC461626D7.jpeg
    D14C29D4-0AA8-47E2-827C-5BBC461626D7.jpeg
    191.6 KB · Views: 87
Yes, that is the CCS2 plug. I'm surprised you haven't seen it before, since that's what almost all of the public fast charging stations throughout Europe are. All of the Model 3 and Model Y cars have that as their native port that is built into the car. It's what Tesla is going to in Europe.

The Model S and X have the older Type2 port (Mennekes) port on the cars. Tesla offers a service upgrade to change a circuit board inside the car so it can communicate with CCS2 and there is a plug adapter that goes with that.

For the Supercharger version 2 stations, Tesla just added another cable, so they have both--the older Type2 plug and the new CCS2. But for the newer Supercharger version 3 stations, they are putting in only the CCS2 cables. So if you want to use the V3 Superchargers, you will need to get that upgrade done. I think most owners of S and X are getting that done.