TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Roof Bars 2020 Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by davidgmitch, Apr 9, 2020.

Tags:
  1. davidgmitch

davidgmitch New Member

Just taken delivery of my new model S (Long Range) in the UK. I am trying to fit some roof bars, but neither Thule site or Yakima seem to sell bars to fit. Based on the Tesla website, i think i have a glass roof. The Tesla shop only seems to allow dispatch of the bars to the US.

So my questions are;
    1) how do i confirm it is a glass roof (not panoramic). There where no options when i bought the car
    2) is there non Telsa compatible system
    3) can you order the Tesla bars for delivery to the UK
    4) do the US bars fit a UK model (assuming i can get hold of them)

Thanks.

2. gbailey

gbailey Member

As far as I know it will be an all glass roof as that was standard for all Ravens. I don’t see why the US bars won’t fit your UK car, however when I looked I decided on a Seasucker system rather than the Tesla bars which require a small pad to be permanently stuck to the glass roof. More details on the Seasucker system here: Racks

I have the Monkey bars and the Bomber rack for bikes and they work well, are secure and are easily fitted and removed. Pic not my car but from the web. 964D930E-E32E-44FC-98F9-C5B3A44DB94F.jpeg

3. HrvatskaEV

HrvatskaEV Closed

With this being your first post, welcome to TMC! Congratulations and enjoy the car.

1. It's a glass roof - 100% it's not panoramic.
    2. Not sure
    3. For some reason, I can't find the roof racks on the GB site. Weird. Contact Tesla GB and they can definitely get their hands on some.
    4. Don't see why not but I'd check with Tesla GB to be sure.

4. davidgmitch

davidgmitch New Member

Thanks to you both for the welcome, the rapid response and the information.

I have not heard of the Seasucker system before, so pretty intrigued by that. I am planning to use the rack for carrying small kayaks, so welcome any other feedback from anyone who can help me compare Seasucker with a mechanical rack. I kayak all the time, leaving it on the car all the time seems like it is discouraged.

On the other hand, the track in the Model S looks like it might not be super robust either.

Tesla GB are more than a little contradictory in their responses to this question, i have had pretty much the full range of answers from "you can't use a rack" through to "you can fit anything you like". I'll see if i can get an *official* response.

Thanks again.

5. gbailey

gbailey Member

You may like to take a look at some of the Seasucker videos on YouTube. There’s a few featuring the a Model S with a range of different loads and the system seems as secure as a conventional rack. Hopefully they’ll help you make up your mind one way or the other.