Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Box on Model S and energy consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

Winter time is coming and here are my findings regarding roof box and energy consuption.

I tested the car on an about 7km long stretch of highway (there and back with an overpass turn) - so together 15.1 km.
Outside temperature 11 oC, heating inside 21.5 oC.

The roof box was one of the largest on the market (195x95x44cm). Due to the size of the car and the long roof it doesn't look big on the car at all. The trunk door opens normally.

3 rounds without the box (only bars) and 3 rounds with the box. Speeds 90, 110, 130 kmh.

Here are my findings:

90 kmh
no box: 198 wh/km

with roof box: 219 wh/km (+10%)

110 kmh
no box: 221 wh/km

with roof box: 256 wh/km (+15%)

130 kmh
no box: 251 wh/km
with roof box:306 wh/km (+ 22%)

Absolute numbers are a bit high since they include acceleration to the speed and driving on the overpass when turning back. So with longer distances the absolute numbers should be lower.

Result:
With speeds around 100 kmh driving with the roof box increases the energy consumption by about the same amount as driving 20 kmh faster.

Happy skiing season!
Amadej

2014-11-16 10.34.03b (Medium).jpg
2014-11-16 10.34.26 (Medium).jpg

Well yes - skiing time is coming. And roof box is the best way to keep wet and dirty out of the car.

Actually next year we are planing a camping road trip across Europe to Scotland. 1 month of traveling and camping takes a lot of space... :)