Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof box recommendations for m3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just tried my m3 rails and my old Thule box. It’s flopping around like a wet hotdog over like 65 mph (the box - not the rails). I think the issue is that this particular box expects to be mounted farther between two points (as in when it was on my Mini Countryman rails were like 6-12 inches farther apart).
Anyone have a recommendation of a roof box that works well? I really prefer a box to avoid getting mag chloride from Colorado mountain roads on my skis.

Pics from trip

Attachments

• 20190622_175141.jpg
    20190622_175141.jpg
    855.5 KB · Views: 1,537
  • 20190624_180517.jpg
    20190624_180517.jpg
    736.6 KB · Views: 1,357
  • Informative
Reactions: PoitNarf
OP, what kind exactly was the old Thule box that was flopping around? I have an old Thule box (Evolution 1200?) that I was wondering about trying, but I'm worried now...
I’m wrong - the Thule is on my wife’s car. The hot dog flopping box is a Yakima space booster. I kinda want to see if I can put some metal reinforcements in it because it’s sentimental (we sticker it every time we go somewhere). But it might just be time for a Thule.

Reactions: Tectonic
Any front camera issues with being blocked by the overhang? Thinking this box is the one I want!

I ended up buying the Thule Force XT XL and didn't have any issues with my cameras getting blocked. Only issue I had was with EZ-Pass sometimes not scanning. You can't really see it unless you lean forward to look up at it.

Attachments

• IMG_0390PLATE.png
    IMG_0390PLATE.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,112
  • Informative
Reactions: MikkoJ and Zarwin
I ended up buying the Thule Force XT XL and didn't have any issues with my cameras getting blocked. Only issue I had was with EZ-Pass sometimes not scanning. You can't really see it unless you lean forward to look up at it.

Just picked up the exact same one and just got home with it. Question since you have been using it, is there an optimal mounting position for it? Dead center on the clamps? Slightly forward or back? When I threw it on top at the store, it was a bit forward based on where the clamps were set and wobbled a bit in the front on the way home. Nothing bad but made me think it needed to be more centered or perhaps set back. Just wondering if you have an optimal position.
IMG_5786.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MikkoJ
Just picked up the exact same one and just got home with it. Question since you have been using it, is there an optimal mounting position for it? Dead center on the clamps? Slightly forward or back? When I threw it on top at the store, it was a bit forward based on where the clamps were set and wobbled a bit in the front on the way home. Nothing bad but made me think it needed to be more centered or perhaps set back. Just wondering if you have an optimal position. View attachment 626997

I slid it as far back as it could go. The bars are a bit forward facing on the Model 3 and the trunk was still able to open so I thought it was the best spot. We drove with it on our car from MA to FL and back without any issues outside of some random wind noise every now and then depending on speed and wind direction.

• Informative
Reactions: MikkoJ and Zarwin
I slid it as far back as it could go. The bars are a bit forward facing on the Model 3 and the trunk was still able to open so I thought it was the best spot. We drove with it on our car from MA to FL and back without any issues outside of some random wind noise every now and then depending on speed and wind direction.

Yesterday I re-positioned it as centered as possible but it still is a little floppy in the front, even at lower speeds. I'm sure that's fine but will try sliding it all the way back as you have. I much appreciate you letting me know!

Reactions: xcrunner41888
I've got some Seasucker roof bars, and one of the reasons I got them instead of the Tesla ones was because I could put them farther apart. Haven't really made use of them yet, but I offer them as a suggestion in case they'd be a useful option for anyone with a long roof box.

The big advantage is that they're really easy to put on and take off. The big disadvantage is that that's also true if you're a thief :)