Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof box saga: Whispbar WB701 to Showcase 15 to Showcase 20

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lyon

2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D
Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2011
Eugene, Oregon
Last year I bought a Whispbar WB 701 roof box. It was expensive but was aerodynamic and about the perfect size for the Model S. Fast forward to this year and I can't reliably get it to close. A video of the problem sent to Yakima (who made Whispbar) confirmed that the product was defective. They offered to replace with the new Yakima Showcase 15, a significantly less expensive product (Whispbar has been discontinued). All I had to do was send pictures of the box having been destroyed (cut a whole in the lid) and they'd send it to me. Disposable of the old box was up to me.

I originally purchased the box from REI and it had been a little less than a year. Because of their one year satisfaction guarantee, they took the WB 701 back and ordered me the showcase 15. I got to keep the difference in cost and they dealt with the old box. Win for me.

The Showcase 15 showed up and didn't fit the Model S. The crossbar spread is too great and they're fixed. REI again took the box back, refunded me the money and ordered me a Showcase 20. This came yesterday and I picked it up today.

IMG_5976.JPG

It's a big flipping box.

Anyway, three take-homes from all this:

1) REI customer service is awesome.

2) The Showcase 15 doesn't fit the Model S.

3) I'm going to need a couple more pairs of skis.

-Phil

Did REI change their return policy to only 1 year?

There were informally known as Rental Equipment Incorporated ;), because you could bring back 10 year old used gear that's been clearly banged up, and they'd refund you the money, no questions asked.

Did REI change their return policy to only 1 year?

There were informally known as Rental Equipment Incorporated ;), because you could bring back 10 year old used gear that's been clearly banged up, and they'd refund you the money, no questions asked.

Yeah, I think the 10 year thing became a little burdensome. One year seems pretty generous to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Max*
I've noticed that the rear bar is a little lower. Have you managed to set yours up so they're the same? That would be lovey. Also, my driveway is angled so late that contributes to the appearance.
I didn't do anything differently from what the installation instructions provided. Did you verify that the smartfoot 'feet' are installed correctly? there is a a 'front' and 'rear' set to accommodate the slope lines of the roof. I only use bike racks on mine and AFAICT it has always been level to me. Next opportunity I'll try to verify with a level. :)

I didn't do anything differently from what the installation instructions provided. Did you verify that the smartfoot 'feet' are installed correctly? there is a a 'front' and 'rear' set to accommodate the slope lines of the roof. I only use bike racks on mine and AFAICT it has always been level to me. Next opportunity I'll try to verify with a level. :)

I really thought I had them on there correctly but now you've got me second guessing myself! I, too, will try a level once I get it on level ground.

Last year I bought a Whispbar WB 701 roof box. It was expensive but was aerodynamic and about the perfect size for the Model S. Fast forward to this year and I can't reliably get it to close. A video of the problem sent to Yakima (who made Whispbar) confirmed that the product was defective. They offered to replace with the new Yakima Showcase 15, a significantly less expensive product (Whispbar has been discontinued). All I had to do was send pictures of the box having been destroyed (cut a whole in the lid) and they'd send it to me. Disposable of the old box was up to me.

I originally purchased the box from REI and it had been a little less than a year. Because of their one year satisfaction guarantee, they took the WB 701 back and ordered me the showcase 15. I got to keep the difference in cost and they dealt with the old box. Win for me.

The Showcase 15 showed up and didn't fit the Model S. The crossbar spread is too great and they're fixed. REI again took the box back, refunded me the money and ordered me a Showcase 20. This came yesterday and I picked it up today.

View attachment 215665

It's a big flipping box.

Anyway, three take-homes from all this:

1) REI customer service is awesome.

2) The Showcase 15 doesn't fit the Model S.

3) I'm going to need a couple more pairs of skis.

-Phil
I just got my WB701 replaced by Yakima this week, it looked pretty but turned out to be basically a POS. One of the locking mechanisms jammed and I had to remove the entire latch assembly to get the lock core to realign. The rear hinge/lifter just came off it's mount, the front hinge/lifter was so jacked up it held the front open even when stationary and latched. It developed a crack in the lid near the front and it was always a bear to get latched even when empty. This all in two years, only using it a total of three weeks over that time. Thank you to Yakima for replacing it with a Showcase 20, they were very helpful once I finally threw up my hands and asked for the replacement.

Reactions: Lyon