Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Color Change in Rain (please see photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sushixoxo

Dec 21, 2018
CA
Hi Guys--

I did a quick google search and understand the general principle of the glass roof and rear window changing color with rain and condensation due to the UV/IR reflective coating. However, all of the pictures I've seen are orange/red tint, somewhat of a gradient, and affect both the roof and rear window similarly. On my car it's a bright bumble bee yellow and is only on the top roof and not the rear window. My questions are:

1. Does my roof color change seem a little outside the bell curve? Do other people's roofs look like this? Does this mean my coating is defective?

2. If both the roof and rear window have the same treatment, then why does my rear window not change color as well?

Tesla 2.jpg
    Tesla 1.jpg

I've seen my roof glass appear in different colors off and on.

IMG_9513.JPG

IMG_8765.JPG

IMG_8767.JPG

This morning it was pretty cold out and it had rained overnight. The roof glass was more yellow and wish I had grabbed a photo. I remembered OP seeing your post with your bumblebee yellow color and it made me wonder if the outdoor temperature also determined the coloring. Today was definitely the coldest (guessing 30sF). But today was also a little after sunrise so maybe the amount of sunlight a factor. In any event love to see the color changes.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Oh, interesting! Mine has a build date of November 18 (per window sticker) and it looks like it has the full treatment? (As shown by TT97.)
First post (I think?) Thanks for all the great info here! I will fill out sig later. View attachment 364035

Whats your VIN per chance? Even though your November build date is more telling. I bet they simply found some excess stock somewhere.....

I have a Sept 2018 build date (picked up at end of month) and have the colored effect only on my driver glass portion. The rear glass is a black look. I do remember a thread on here a while back (several months now maybe) that discussed that Tesla was using 3 different glass manufacturers for their windows and each may have their own type of IR coating but that all windows did have it and that their coating gave different looks from the other.

Whats your VIN per chance? Even though your November build date is more telling. I bet they simply found some excess stock somewhere.....
Hi, I was thinking that might be a possibility. When I ordered mine, there were two in stock with my spec, so I took the older one. Maybe it was much older?? Now I'm worried, why was this one still sitting around in all the frenzy? LOL...
VIN 146XXX (Did I do that right? I'm such a n00b! Not to msg boards, but just to Tesla.)
Thanks.