Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Crack Issue - Tesla refuses that its a stress crack. Any advise?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi fam,

I recently saw a crack on my roof that starts at the front center of the car and takes a turn to the right. Overall size might be arounf 10-12 inches. After reading all the posts regarding Model 3 roof cracks, I am pretty confident that mine would pass through as a stress crack. I went to the service center today, and they did the pen test. They claimed that for it to be a stress crack, the crack shouldnt be from outside, but rather it should be inside the vehicle. I saw a lot of posts where the crack was outside the vehicle. Additionally, there was a small bump in the crack (you can see in the image), and with that they claimed that its a chip and not a stress crack.

Tesla is charging me $1200 for this. Need your advice fam, is this something I can fight or argue that it should be passed as a stress crack, and Tesla should repair it for me? Or is it a lost cause. Any help appreciated

w3wKsaQ

That looks like a stress crack to me. If there was an obvious chip in the front of the crack, I would say rock chip. But it doesn’t appear that way, I would try fighting it. Unfortunately I think it’s a hit or miss whether Tesla will cover it.

Looks similar to the cracks in this thread:
Model 3 Glass roof crack : TeslaLounge

His was covered under warranty.

This thread also has a ton of exterior glass cracks:
Roof Glass Stress Cracks, vol. 2 - Tesla Owners Online

Personally, my glass cracked on the inside, but the fact that yours is cracked on the outside doesn't mean that it isn't a stress crack. I would keep pressing them and maybe show them some of these other threads where the glass was replaced under warranty.

I have come to the conclusion that, while I love the car, I hate almost everything else about the Tesla experience. Short of the Yugo, I have never seen such disdain for customer service and support! It has made it a little more difficult for me to recommend the car of late...

The customer-last approach is definitely going to catch up with Tesla at some point. When it does, they'll fix it. It's a lot easier to fix bad customer service than it is to fix a bad product. But the reputation will be very hard to fix. It took Hyundai a long time to fix their bad customer service perception they earned in the 90's.

Hi fam,

I recently saw a crack on my roof that starts at the front center of the car and takes a turn to the right. Overall size might be arounf 10-12 inches. After reading all the posts regarding Model 3 roof cracks, I am pretty confident that mine would pass through as a stress crack. I went to the service center today, and they did the pen test. They claimed that for it to be a stress crack, the crack shouldnt be from outside, but rather it should be inside the vehicle. I saw a lot of posts where the crack was outside the vehicle. Additionally, there was a small bump in the crack (you can see in the image), and with that they claimed that its a chip and not a stress crack.

Tesla is charging me $1200 for this. Need your advice fam, is this something I can fight or argue that it should be passed as a stress crack, and Tesla should repair it for me? Or is it a lost cause. Any help appreciated

w3wKsaQ

I had a glass roof panel break on my Range Rover Sport. It was never going to be covered under warranty, so I made a claim on my insurance. If it's not a movable panel, it's not covered under glass, like the windshield, it's considered body damage. So you pay your comprehensive deductible. It's not a collision damage, so it doesn't hit you like an accident claim.

I had it fixed by an independent glass guy that I know does a better job than the dealer.

• Informative
Reactions: Snowstorm
The customer-last approach is definitely going to catch up with Tesla at some point. When it does, they'll fix it. It's a lot easier to fix bad customer service than it is to fix a bad product. But the reputation will be very hard to fix. It took Hyundai a long time to fix their bad customer service perception they earned in the 90's.

Hyundai still has problems depending on the dealer. In Tesla's case, it depends on the SC?

Hi fam,

w3wKsaQ

Ouch. Sorry for the crack. I would hate that also, and admit that the glass roof panels make me nervous. I would have passed on them if I had been given the option. I don't have an opinion on stress crack or chip, but I am surprised that $1200 will pay for a replacement. I would have expected more. Good luck on the warranty claim though. If not successful with that, though, I would make a comprehensive claim before the work is done.

I love my model 3, but seeing this makes me wish that they offered a plain metal roof for the car. I may be in the minority, but I would actually consider that an upgrade. I have no interest in having the sun on my head while driving; I kept the sunroof closed on every other car I've had, and I paid for a mesh net just to darken the glass on this one. Top it off with the excitement of wondering when some lucky pebble will drop off a truck and cost me $1200.

Reactions: C141medic
You're one of the few lucky ones. There are others, but I am not one of them.

We mostly only hear from people that are not happy. Doesn’t mean owners that have had great service (like me) are few. ...

In fact, many of the complaints I’ve seen here are from people that feel they are entitled to warranty work, that aren’t.
They feel service sucks, because they aren’t getting what they want, despite the fact that it shouldn’t be covered.

Reactions: jpfive and jerry33
Take it to a few reputable auto glass shops for their opinions and bring to Tesla if they indicate stress crack.

I second this. They are experts in this kind of situation having repaired/replaced many. Their evaluation, if a stress crack, should give weight to fighting Tesla on this for a warranty issue. If not, at least you will have some peace of mind knowing that they agreed with Tesla and you’re not being turned down for legitimate warranty work.