Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof damaged during delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

Curious what everyone thinks I should do in my current situation.

Model Y Performance with FSD which was delayed a few times but delivery was scheduled for tomorrow. Already had home charger installed, insurance added, bought some accessories etc.

Received a call this afternoon that upon inspection at the delivery center they noticed the roof glass was completely cracked and will need to be replaced. It may take a few weeks to get glass in and have service center install.

In any other situation I would request a new factory car but it will be a long delay back where I started. I feel like I’m crazy spending this much on a car already repaired.

Has anyone had the roof replaced and had future issues? Any other advice?

Solution
I’m sure plenty of people have had their roof replaced. It is glass after all.

I’m sure Tesla will still sell the car as new I’d you decide to pass on it so you can think of it that way.

But I understand what your saying.

Personally I would ask if there are any extra perks they can give you to make up for the delay while fixing the roof.

Maybe a year or two of premium connect or something along those lines. Free super charger credits, etc.

Let us know what you decide!
I’m sure plenty of people have had their roof replaced. It is glass after all.

I’m sure Tesla will still sell the car as new I’d you decide to pass on it so you can think of it that way.

But I understand what your saying.

Personally I would ask if there are any extra perks they can give you to make up for the delay while fixing the roof.

Maybe a year or two of premium connect or something along those lines. Free super charger credits, etc.

Let us know what you decide!

• Funny
Reactions: VegasMYP and Ken_Y
Upvote 0
Solution
I've had both my windshield and roof glass replaced at the Sterling SC in Virginia and they are actually better than they were from the factory (better alignments/gaps). Took a few weeks for the glass to come in, and once it was in, it was a 2-day repair. It may be quicker to get a new VIN, though.

FWIW, the SC told me that they replace more glass than any other work they do.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind replaced glass but i will say my car was damaged (beyond repair on 6/18) and was going to be a 6/21 delivery ... I am still waiting on a new VIN with an new EDD of 7/5-7/19 so best case i would be in a 3 week time to get fixed or a new one. This is assuming they get my new one here in the next few weeks. Looks like you are ion PA im in ohio so about two weeks from VIN to delivery. Doesnt help much but i think its up to you on new car or new glass it will be around the same time frame.

Upvote 0
I'm also in the same situation as yours as i got call this morning saying the same reason and my pickup is scheduled on Wednesday. They offered me that they will fix it with 3-4 weeks of eta or they can assign me a new one with eta of 30-60 days. Since i was eager for it i have made total payment and now i'm kind of paying interest on the amount to my credit union.

My question is if they fix it does it will be reported in the report of the vehicle having a history of damage.

Can you please share your experience what you did and what is the outcome like any compensation or perks or loaner car until they fix it from tesla.

Upvote 0