Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof glass change, slightly different appearance, Tesla changes suppliers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if 'rainbow glass' back to being supplied with new cars?
It looks like the new rear window has a reddish tint that is somewhere between the gray looking one and the old reddish one. I just had mine replaced as part of a rear quarter panel replacement. My old one had a very reddish tint that matched the front roof section. The new rear is still reddish, but not as extreme as the front panel.

• Helpful
Reactions: Jedi2155 and T-Mom
Mine has the boring coatings. I’d love to have the pretty coatings for pictures along. But you can’t win them all. :p
Yeah, the original coating is definitely photogenic!

4481917E-405F-4A3B-9DE5-557F9FE0CC32.jpeg

I had my roof glass replaced in May and got the new reddish 'pretty one' that everyone is talking about. I thought it was a whole different glass at first and was a little worried then noticed the Tesla logo that matched all the other windows.

Something odd today though. I had a message in my Tesla app to schedule glass replacement through the app. Seems like they finally added a glass replacement option from the app. I cannot imagine they are just asking me to come in and replace something. Of course you try to call the service center and nobody answers anymore.

Something odd today though. I had a message in my Tesla app to schedule glass replacement through the app. Seems like they finally added a glass replacement option from the app. I cannot imagine they are just asking me to come in and replace something. Of course you try to call the service center and nobody answers anymore.
Here’s another thread about that topic:

In house glass replacement

Reactions: t-rizzle
I just recently got my rear glass replaced under warranty. Being an early VIN, I was afraid that the new glass wouldn't have the orange tint. They let me know that there's only one variant being produced right now and they don't know if it'll have the orange glow or not.

Turns out it does! Not sure if it's just because my previous glass had it or if it's back.

Following my costly carelessness of slightly glancing my charging connector off the lower edge of my rear panoramic window (M3), which created a 2mm chip on the edge, about one week later it ran 18" up the window. The service appointment was one week later, glass was in stock, and the install went smoothly, taking about six hours to let it set up. Following the next daytime rainfall, I was surprised to find the curious image of the tint you describe above. It is not really noticeable from inside, but even touching the droplets pulls the refraction upwards. It looks like a "redhead" now!
tesla_redhead.jpg

I've now got a VIN 490xxx allocated to me. Looks like it may be from end of July.

Anyone know likelihood of rainbow roof on this new car?

I was at the service center today in Dania Beach, Florida and checked out several new Model 3's awaiting delivery. They all appeared to have the front and rear glass which turns orange/red while wet. As mentioned before in this thread , my rear glass replacement back in June is also this color. Unfortunately, I am getting it replaced again now for the 3rd time. First time out they misaligned it. Second time they left too large a gap between the front and back panels causing wind noise. Anyhow, my advisor said they’ll try and match it to the original, but I don’t think that’s possible because they all have the same part number regardless of the supplier. Besides, judging from the new delivery vehicles, the reddish glass appears to be what the current supplier is manufacturing right now.

Reactions: MrBadger
Just a follow up on my service this week. I picked up my car from today and I can confirm the replacement glass is the same with the orange/red coloring while wet. Unfortunately, for the third time now (2 different service centers) the quality of the repair and replacement was subpar. They were able to eliminate the gap between the front and back glass in order to reduce turbulence, but unfortunately the glass itself appears to have not been cut symmetrically during the manufacturing process. As a result there is a gap twice as wide in the lower right where the glass meets the trunk lid as there is on the left side. I discussed it at length with the shop foreman, but he stated that the variance is within company limits. I suggested it might be smart for his team to actually see if the part measures up properly prior to applying the adhesive etc to the glass and urethane. If they had done so maybe this could have been avoided Anyhow, he refused to make another attempt, and that's when I indicated to him that I'd be reaching out to corporate concerning this matter and another repair I posted about here last month. Just to put my service experience into perspective, my car was delivered on May 14th and only has 1900 miles as I primarily work from home. Of those 1900 miles at east a 1000 are from commutes back and forth to my local service centers. I've literally been to them at least 12 times over the past 4 months. In contrast, the mobile technicians do quality work, but again the two times they visited me were in order to replace inner panels (broken clips) damaged during the multiple glass replacements.