Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof glass cracked on delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone wondered why Tesla doesn’t make a standard steel roof and make the glass roof optional. Aside from the lack of a sunshade and the cooling load it puts on the A/C it would be cheaper to produce as well. I would rather have a steel roof after reading about all these glass problems.
I think the steel roof might make the car heavier and slower.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
Has anyone wondered why Tesla doesn’t make a standard steel roof and make the glass roof optional. Aside from the lack of a sunshade and the cooling load it puts on the A/C it would be cheaper to produce as well. I would rather have a steel roof after reading about all these glass problems.
It’s easier to build, less options means less toolings needed, and the big hold allow robots arm to reach in easily. Elon is focused on what make his manufacturing more efficient first.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
I personally love the look of the glass roof. Not sure I would agree with “after reading about all these glass problems“? Not seeing this as a common complaint by any means.

Reactions: DanDi58
I find little mention in this thread how bad the Tesla pre-delivery car inspection must have been to also not notice such a huge defect with this car. 4680's to dunuts that they didn't inspect the car at all.

Really inspect everything completely when you get your car back. "Good 'ol Toyota" didn't even take my last car through their 150-point pre-delivery checlist. They, um, ... fogot. It was a week before I discovered my tires were all at 70psi.

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Not sure I’m convinced a steel roof would be cheaper? Needs more bracing in the middle as it isn’t as stiff. Needs painting. Glass gives easier access to inside during manufacturing.
I agree about ease in manufacturing but that benefits the manufacturer not the customer. We have had steel roof cars for a long time so it’s not an engineering difficulty. Steel roof would be safer in a rollover as well. Steel roof would be cooler thus lessening power drain running air conditioning. Tougher to break in by vandalism. Freedom from rock chips and thermal stress and subsequent cracking. Too many benefits with steel IMO. Maybe Tesla should give us a choice instead of concentrating resources making fart sounds and other dumb ideas.

I agree about ease in manufacturing but that benefits the manufacturer not the customer. Steel roof would be safer in a rollover as well. Steel roof would be cooler thus lessening power drain running air conditioning. Tougher to break in by vandalism. Freedom from rock chips and thermal stress and subsequent cracking. Too many benefits with steel IMO. Maybe Tesla should give us a choice instead of concentrating resources making fart sounds and other dumb ideas.
Back in 2012-2017, there are many options to build Tesla including a sliding sunroof or metal roof, plus a whole nine yards, but Elon decided to make fast manufacturing the priority over everything else, so all the options are dropped one by one. Tesla's first goal is not about customer choice and I doubted it will ever.

Just accepted delivery of my 2022 MYP (F523xxx - new door panels, no cargo cover)

Before I drove it off, I noticed the roof glass was cracked. I also noticed that the lift gate glass is protruding near the top as well. The delivery center is going to “undeliver” the car and get the roof glass replaced, and look into the liftgate glass as well.

I tried to push for a new VIN, but they mentioned that since I skipped over my initial delivery a month ago, they can’t assign a new VIN- otherwise it’ll cancel the order and I’ll lose my locked in price. So I have no choice but to have the glass replaced and take delivery. The manager mentioned he’ll be on the lookout for a similar configuration if it shows up in inventory, but it’s unlikely.

What would you do in this situation? Obviously I don’t want to lose my locked in price and the loan has already funded, but I feel that it’s unfair that I have to deal with such an issue. Should I keep fighting for a new VIN?

Also— any clue if this would hit carfax?
Just curious: was this delivered at the Fort Worth Delivery Center, or somewhere else in Texas?

Both my windshield and roof glass were replaced almost 2 years ago right after delivery due to a defect in the glass, and misalignment. The SC install was better than new, no wind or other noise, and 2 years and 30K miles later, I have no issues. SC change a ton of glass out, and this should be an easy fix and may even wind up with a better installation than from the factory.

I agree and feeling a lot of heat from the roof in Florida - may order sun shades with clips ?

I want to assume the SC does some form of inspection upon a vehicle arriving. Why would they have someone take delivery of a damaged vehicle?
I'm not trying to bash Tesla. In my opinion, their quality standards are already below the expected standard. Is this another example?
My examples of this are unaligned body panels and uneven gap spacing.

I want to assume the SC does some form of inspection upon a vehicle arriving. Why would they have someone take delivery of a damaged vehicle?
I'm not trying to bash Tesla. In my opinion, their quality standards are already below the expected standard. Is this another example?
My examples of this are unaligned body panels and uneven gap spacing.
SC just wants to get the car to you and get you out the door. They don’t have the time, parts or direction from corporate to do much else. Until this changes customer satisfaction will continue to be eroded.

SC just wants to get the car to you and get you out the door. They don’t have the time, parts or direction from corporate to do much else. Until this changes customer satisfaction will continue to be eroded.
I think is pretty much the norm vs the exception recently. I've been hearing service horror stories out of my local SC from owners that have dropped off their cars (if they can even get an appt, that is), be ghosted for days after being told it would be a same day fix, finding not all/any of the repair work has been done when they go pick up their cars, etc etc.

Elon and Tesla might have been in "production" hell several years ago with the Model 3, but now they are firmly in "service hell"...or should I say, owners are.

Part of getting the cars out is removing all of the transportation protection plastic from the car and then cleaning the car. Surely during this process the roof would have been washed. Maybe there was a small nick and spraying with water caused the crack after the car was washed and left to dry. It is Texas in the summer, I assume it’s hot?

Update: I took delivery today since they were able to find replacement roof glass fairly quickly.

I noticed a dent on the b pillar before accepting delivery, but they assured me they could get it fixed in a future service appointment without having to bondo- since I think it’s difficult to get behind that area and push the dent out .

All in all, I’m happy with the turnaround aside from some minor nits they’ll fix in my service appointment almost a month from now 😥

Update: I took delivery today since they were able to find replacement roof glass fairly quickly.
I noticed a dent on the b pillar before accepting delivery, but they assured me they could get it fixed in a future service appointment without having to bondo- since I think it’s difficult to get behind that area and push the dent out .
All in all, I’m happy with the turnaround aside from some minor nits they’ll fix in my service appointment almost a month from now 😥

Thanks for the update. Glad it got replaced. Please keep us updated on part 2 of the repairs.

I agree and feeling a lot of heat from the roof in Florida - may order sun shades with clips ?
I’m happy with this one. I just leave it up all summer and makes driving much cooler. The magnet in the middle has a part that you peel and stick to the inside of the glass. My kids don’t like it but oh well. KIKIMO for Tesla Model Y Sunshade Roof, Tesla Model Y Accessories 2022 2021 2020,with Glass Roof Sunshade Reflective Covers,Anti 99.8% UV and Keep Cool,with Dustproof Storage Bag https://a.co/d/cbneXSh