Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof luggage carrier

MN321

Oct 12, 2021
Atlanta
I've seen lots of post discussing roof rails for (bikes, boats, etc) has anyone had good or bad experience with roof luggage carriers? Not thinking if the Thule/Yakima type boxes. Rather I'm curious about the metal luggage racks that are mounted on rails. I think I've only ever seen one photo of someone installing a these on a Model Y.

PNWLeccy

Jul 11, 2019
Seattle
I'm assuming you're talking about something like the Thule 859XT Canyon Cargo basket or similar?
--_YUATN.jpg

Tesla-Model-Y-in-Toronto.jpg

sroh

Supporting Member
Sep 10, 2017
Bay Area, CA
Yea, I really wish the M3 and MY roof racks were interchangeable. I was able to get a used roof rack for the M3 from someone who used it 2x and it looked great. I haven't even seen one used MY roof rack listed since it came out
Ya, that would be awesome. We bought the M3 roof rack to carry skis. Now that we have a MY and expect to take it for all future road trips, can't see us ever using the M3 roof rack again.

Saw the roof racks are back in stock. On the fence about ordering one as I'd really only use it for skis (and even then, only handful of times per year). Has anyone had experience with this Thule rack on their MYLR (especially in CO)? I've seen a lot of positive feedback on the Yakima Fatcats, but I have the Thule from my old car still so I'm starting with that.
Or would I be better off trying to sell my rack and carry the skis inside the car?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC