Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof luggage carrier

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen lots of post discussing roof rails for (bikes, boats, etc) has anyone had good or bad experience with roof luggage carriers? Not thinking if the Thule/Yakima type boxes. Rather I'm curious about the metal luggage racks that are mounted on rails. I think I've only ever seen one photo of someone installing a these on a Model Y.

I'm assuming you're talking about something like the Thule 859XT Canyon Cargo basket or similar?
--_YUATN.jpg

Tesla-Model-Y-in-Toronto.jpg

Yea, I really wish the M3 and MY roof racks were interchangeable. I was able to get a used roof rack for the M3 from someone who used it 2x and it looked great. I haven't even seen one used MY roof rack listed since it came out

Yea, I really wish the M3 and MY roof racks were interchangeable. I was able to get a used roof rack for the M3 from someone who used it 2x and it looked great. I haven't even seen one used MY roof rack listed since it came out
Ya, that would be awesome. We bought the M3 roof rack to carry skis. Now that we have a MY and expect to take it for all future road trips, can't see us ever using the M3 roof rack again.

Saw the roof racks are back in stock. On the fence about ordering one as I'd really only use it for skis (and even then, only handful of times per year). Has anyone had experience with this Thule rack on their MYLR (especially in CO)? I've seen a lot of positive feedback on the Yakima Fatcats, but I have the Thule from my old car still so I'm starting with that.
Or would I be better off trying to sell my rack and carry the skis inside the car?

Saw the roof racks are back in stock. On the fence about ordering one as I'd really only use it for skis (and even then, only handful of times per year). Has anyone had experience with this Thule rack on their MYLR (especially in CO)? I've seen a lot of positive feedback on the Yakima Fatcats, but I have the Thule from my old car still so I'm starting with that.
Or would I be better off trying to sell my rack and carry the skis inside the car?
What did you end up doing on your Model Y?

What did you end up doing on your Model Y?
I installed the roof rack and will add/remove the ski rack as needed. It's easy enough to put on and take off...so are the crossbars but I'd rather leave them on and not risk cracking the roof glass.

I noticed a range hit which coincided with extreme cold so I can't attribute it fully to this ski rack. Also since I'm not going that far to get to the mountains I think this solution will work out just fine.