Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack bolt issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am trying to install a Thule roof rack on my 3 week old model S. One of the four bolts that screws into the receiving nut (part of the roof) will only go in half way then gets tight (like it's stripped). I don't want to force it as I assume something will break. The other 3 were tightish, but went in fine. Anyone else have this happen? Any suggestions other than service appointment?

Should you damage the thread, it can be fixed. There are people who specialize in sheared off bolt removal and stripped thread repair - they install a new thread. Used commonly in engine blocks for example. I had an issue when I drove into my garage with my bike on the roof rack, ...yeah, I know.....sheared off the bolt in the front right side. Tesla did, with difficulty remove the bolt but were concerned that they may have stripped the thread in the process - it was very tight. I think it has to do with the bolt being brass and the socket being a different metal, possibly aluminum. It was the service center that put me on to the thread repair idea.

Sorry forgot to update with result. Took it to Fremont service center and they rethreaded the bolt (woohoo). But....That then exposed problem two. The bolt mount was off center and wouldn't let me add the spacer which drops down over the screw. Had to setup a service appointment and they were able to fix it.

old thread I know. I have been investigating getting a bike rack for the tesla. @Hazelwood, how has your experience been with the roof rack? Do you still recommend it over say a hitch mount bike rack?

appreciate any thoughts. thanks!
phadum look into the seasuckers they are awesome. I have one and i have no issues with bolts and it easy to remove. When i return from my trip I will take some pics but in thw meanwhile check them out on you tube. Let me know what you think.

Quick shots

Attachments

• 20170611_185842.jpg
    20170611_185842.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 20170611_122033.jpg
    20170611_122033.jpg
    329.8 KB · Views: 70