Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof rack -- difference between glass roof and sunroof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I gather that roof racks for the Model S are different, for glass roof vs. sunroof models. Is that right? Does anyone know how they are different?

What I really want to know is whether a roof rack intended for glass roof would fit on my 2017 Model S which has a sunroof.

• Model S (Glass Roof)
    • Any Model S built on February 11, 2019 or afterwards requires the roof rack only.
    • Model S vehicles equipped with the full glass roof but built prior to February 11, 2019 will require a retrofit performed by Tesla Service prior to the installation of this roof rack. Contact your local Service Center for retrofit details.
  • Model S (Panoramic Roof): Not eligible for this product. A separate roof rack was previously sold but no longer available.
  • Model S (Metal Roof): Not eligible for this product.

I gather that roof racks for the Model S are different, for glass roof vs. sunroof models. Is that right? Does anyone know how they are different?

What I really want to know is whether a roof rack intended for glass roof would fit on my 2017 Model S which has a sunroof.
It will not work. Sunroof cars have a panel that goes along the edge and coincidentally, that is where the threaded holes are for the roof rack. The all glass roof, does not have this panel along the edge, and the rack actually goes around the glass itself because there is a little void in the area. I have had both cars, and both roof racks, and I can assure you that a glass roof, roof rack will not work on a sunroof model and vice a versa. To further complicate it, on sunroof cars there were two types of mount, depending on if the car was built prior to 2015, or after 2015. The rack was the same, it was just the threaded, mounting stud and door flap were different.

Reactions: dbartram