Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof rack effect on range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how much the Tesla Roof Rack (just the empty cross-bars) will affect the range? I'm ordering a Model Y, and was originally planning on taking the "roof rack" (cross-bars) off and on a few times per year, using them only for long trips. However, there are enough reports on this forum about cracked roof glass that I'm now afraid to do that!

Does anyone know how much the Tesla Roof Rack (just the empty cross-bars) will affect the range? I'm ordering a Model Y, and was originally planning on taking the "roof rack" (cross-bars) off and on a few times per year, using them only for long trips. However, there are enough reports on this forum about cracked roof glass that I'm now afraid to do that!
You might find this interesting:

Thanks for your thoughts, folks. I think I found the answer: As I had hoped, the empty crossbars ("roof rack") only subtract around 1% from the range. Someone took the time to measure it: Tesla Model Y Roof Rack Efficiency Reduction Tested
So now I feel confident enough to buy the Model Y, pay the Tesla dealer to mount the roof rack, and just leave it mounted. If the roof cracks, I'll have someone to blame!

Hi. If you are looking for a roof rack with the smallest range, I suggest you learn about the TESERY's Tesla roof rack. The TESERY roof rack has been redesigned to achieve maximum aerodynamic efficiency, minimal wind noise, and low impact on fuel consumption and range. Compared to other roof racks, TESERY roof racks can provide you with a quiet environment.
You can learn more through user comments and feedback on the details page. The best thing is that their upgraded roof rack is equipped with locks at both ends, which is effective in preventing theft and safer to use.

M.Y-Chalk-White-_-BP_AutoSpa___MGL8238.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: KevinT3141
First significant trip with the car fully loaded with windsurf equipment and one board on top Santa Cruz to San Luis Res and back. Trip meter says 345 watts per mile as opposed to around 250 to 275 daily use unloaded. To be fair I don't know what this would look like with and unloaded trip. I was driving at the speed of traffic stereo , letting the air conditioning do it's thing most of the time . Started out with 297 range was at about 110 when I stopped at the Wastonville supercharger on the way back which is a physical range of 135 miles . Car used a few kw when sitting with the sentry on to .

Attachments

• windsurf laod.jpg
    windsurf laod.jpg
    522.1 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: chiphead
Thanks for your thoughts, folks. I think I found the answer: As I had hoped, the empty crossbars ("roof rack") only subtract around 1% from the range. Someone took the time to measure it: Tesla Model Y Roof Rack Efficiency Reduction Tested
So now I feel confident enough to buy the Model Y, pay the Tesla dealer to mount the roof rack, and just leave it mounted. If the roof cracks, I'll have someone to blame!
Also I bought the Tesla Racks and had them install because if there is any
issue with glass breaking I should be covered.
Those aftermarket Tesla racks do look the same though.
Where does it state if they install it then then should anything happen to the glass they are responsible for it?

Where does it state if they install it then then should anything happen to the glass they are responsible for it?
It doesn’t say so anywhere.

That said, it stands to reason that if a Tesla service center agrees to install a Tesla accessory on a Tesla vehicle, they assume the responsibility and liability for doing it right.

At least at the time of installation. I don’t think there’s any reasonable expectation that they’re going to remain liable if the glass cracks a year later.

It doesn’t say so anywhere.

That said, it stands to reason that if a Tesla service center agrees to install a Tesla accessory on a Tesla vehicle, they assume the responsibility and liability for doing it right.

At least at the time of installation. I don’t think there’s any reasonable expectation that they’re going to remain liable if the glass cracks a year later.
Um….yeah. That’s not a really good assumption at all. Tesla doesn’t even warranty some of their parts when installed by the factory. Tons of stories out there so making a statement like that is deceiving.

Tesla doesn’t even warranty some of their parts when installed by the factory.
Such as?
Tons of stories out there so making a statement like that is deceiving.
I’d settle for one example out of the “tons” that exist where a Tesla service center installed a Tesla accessory on a Tesla vehicle, caused damage, and then refused to pay for it. 👍🏻

Um….yeah. That’s not a really good assumption at all. Tesla doesn’t even warranty some of their parts when installed by the factory. Tons of stories out there so making a statement like that is deceiving.

This is not the same thing at all as what @ucmndd said. I will make up a fictitious example. If a Tesla service center said to someone "yeah sorry, the crack on your windshield that was installed from the factory is not a warranty issue so we wont cover it", that would fit directly into your statement about "they dont even warranty some of their parts when installed from the factory".

There could, or could not, be valid reasons for the above windshield denial of warranty.

That is not the same thing AT ALL as somehow intimating that a tesla service center, if paid to install a Tesla windshield on a tesla vehicle would not replace said windshield if they broke it during installation.

This is not the same thing at all as what @ucmndd said. I will make up a fictitious example. If a Tesla service center said to someone "yeah sorry, the crack on your windshield that was installed from the factory is not a warranty issue so we wont cover it", that would fit directly into your statement about "they dont even warranty some of their parts when installed from the factory".

There could, or could not, be valid reasons for the above windshield denial of warranty.

That is not the same thing AT ALL as somehow intimating that a tesla service center, if paid to install a Tesla windshield on a tesla vehicle would not replace said windshield if they broke it during installation.
I understand what he said. There’s no point of installing a roof rack by tesla if only the install at the time of installation is warranted. The whole point of the discussion is if tesla installs it..would it be warranted outside of installation and if so…how long?

The earlier comments implied or assumed that if tesla installed it and further down the road the glass cracks…then it be covered by warranty. Hence why I asked is there documentation. Most glass crack posts are outside of the install.

I understand what he said. There’s no point of installing a roof rack by tesla if only the install at the time of installation is warranted.

That may be your point of view, and thats fine, but there is no where in the post you quoted they said "down the line" so you inferred that, it wasnt said. Wht was said (which is the same thing you quoted):

Also I bought the Tesla Racks and had them install because if there is any
issue with glass breaking I should be covered.

No where in there does it say "down the line", and these forums are littered with people who installed it incorrectly and broke the glass, so for many there IS value in having Tesla install the roof rack. Perhaps for you there isnt, and thats fine, but for many others there would be, since they dont want to take the chance of braking the glass on install themselves.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
Such as?

I’d settle for one example out of the “tons” that exist where a Tesla service center installed a Tesla accessory on a Tesla vehicle, caused damage, and then refused to pay for it. 👍🏻
The comment is referring to tesla and warranty claims in general pertaining to the car delivered and what bumper to bumper warranty means.