Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack for 2017 Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whispbar was bought out by Yakima. I took a look at their product line and it’s “meh”

Thule has a solution that I went for. The Aeroblade Edge Flushmount is a very similar and highly rated product that looks and mounts like the original Whispbar.

Also went with the Motion XT cargo box, I’m happy with the results. As expected the box is very noisy. Not sure what type of range hit I’ll take with this as I just got the install. I don’t expect much of a range hit with the bars on and box off. I’ll report in when I do that.

E69D25EC-598E-4E7C-ADA2-3015F24284A1.jpeg
D53C32A2-E3C4-484C-A2FD-4EE0F3633806.jpeg

I ended up SeaSucker Ski Rack and did a run from SF to Tahoe. Driver + 3 Passengers + 2 cross country skis and 2 snowboards. On flat road it was close to 400KW/m. Lucky with a 100d by charging twice I still got to my destination easily. I would definitely opt-in to take just 2 passengers and put the ski inside. The racks and skis reduces range substantially.

To Tahoe:
Charging at Rocklin, CA
Charging at Truckee, CA

Back:
Charging at Dublin,CA

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum
Whispbar was bought out by Yakima. I took a look at their product line and it’s “meh”

Thule has a solution that I went for. The Aeroblade Edge Flushmount is a very similar and highly rated product that looks and mounts like the original Whispbar.

Also went with the Motion XT cargo box, I’m happy with the results. As expected the box is very noisy. Not sure what type of range hit I’ll take with this as I just got the install. I don’t expect much of a range hit with the bars on and box off. I’ll report in when I do that.

View attachment 266970 View attachment 266971

Could you comment on whether you can open the pano roof with the Thule rack and rails installed (but without a roof rack)? For that matter, if you can do this with Whispbar or not also. The Thule has an advantage that you can get black or silver rails, but as far as I can see, you can only get silver rails with the Tesla Whispbar. Also the Thule is surprisingly more expensive than the now Tesla-branded Whispbar.

View attachment 266970 View attachment 266971
1% confirmed and tested with just cross bars on.

1% confirmed and tested with just cross bars on.

Your tests are for the Thule or the Whispbar?

I have a Thule on my truck where the rails lock on to the feet using nice horizontal rods embedded in the feet, so you can remove the rails in one unclamping step without tools and that leaves some aerodynamic feet which can then be optionally covered with a rubber boot and need not be removed. Anything like this possible with a rack fitting to Model S roof? From what I can tell both options here will leave a vertical bolt sticking out of the feet when rails removed. Thanks!

Your tests are for the Thule or the Whispbar?

I have a Thule on my truck where the rails lock on to the feet using nice horizontal rods embedded in the feet, so you can remove the rails in one unclamping step without tools and that leaves some aerodynamic feet which can then be optionally covered with a rubber boot and need not be removed. Anything like this possible with a rack fitting to Model S roof? From what I can tell both options here will leave a vertical bolt sticking out of the feet when rails removed. Thanks!

Whispbar.

One thing that irks me about the Whisbar rack is they went to so much trouble to make the bar aerodynamic and quiet but forgot about the feet!!?? There is an opening on the inside of the foot behind the locking mechanism that causes wind noise. I did some testing and determined that if I put some custom made lycra socks covering the whole assembly it was much quieter. Can someone not design an extremely aerodynamic roof rack for EV's? Also the Thule ski rack is noisy and not aerodynamic at all. Its not something I want to leave on my car all the time but it is a PITA to remove. I was considering the Seasucker.

Reactions: cmarshack
One thing that irks me about the Whisbar rack is they went to so much trouble to make the bar aerodynamic and quiet but forgot about the feet!!?? There is an opening on the inside of the foot behind the locking mechanism that causes wind noise. I did some testing and determined that if I put some custom made lycra socks covering the whole assembly it was much quieter. Can someone not design an extremely aerodynamic roof rack for EV's? Also the Thule ski rack is noisy and not aerodynamic at all. Its not something I want to leave on my car all the time but it is a PITA to remove. I was considering the Seasucker.
I've been toying with the idea of 3d printing an insert. But I can't figure out how to create the 3d model

I've been toying with the idea of 3d printing an insert. But I can't figure out how to create the 3d model

Reactions: cmarshack

How has the Thule been working for you? Do you notice any wind noise?

I'm about to take delivery of a Model S, and I'm trying to decide on the Whispbar or Thule.

Thanks in advance!