Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack for 2017 Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That should be enough. Even play dough would work if you pack it very carefully for shipping. The sugru will harden and travel better. Use some sort of “mold release” - cooking spray works (Pam). Some spray lube works (want something that won’t absorb - think silicone spray and not wd40).

Your tests are for the Thule or the Whispbar?

I have a Thule on my truck where the rails lock on to the feet using nice horizontal rods embedded in the feet, so you can remove the rails in one unclamping step without tools and that leaves some aerodynamic feet which can then be optionally covered with a rubber boot and need not be removed. Anything like this possible with a rack fitting to Model S roof? From what I can tell both options here will leave a vertical bolt sticking out of the feet when rails removed. Thanks!

I suspect Thule has the same, but that's basically how any Yakima tower system works - I use the Q Tower along with my old round bars. When you take the Q towers off, it leaves little innocuous horns mounted to the car -- you can't see the actual bolts. Those horns take a bit more time to unmount.

You can go with the very aerodymanic stuff or probably just re-use your Thule parts with some new mounting parks.

How has the Thule been working for you? Do you notice any wind noise?

I'm about to take delivery of a Model S, and I'm trying to decide on the Whispbar or Thule.

Thanks in advance!

the box is quite noisy as expected but the Thule mounts vs the Yakima ones are supposedly much quieter; as far as I know Whipsbar doesn't exist anymore they were bought out by Yakima.