Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof rack for model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are there any other manufacturers making roof rack for Tesla model y 2020?

I’ve been watching to buy it since last year, and its price even increased in 2021, which I didn’t really expect.. really? Price increase on accessories?

I’d also like to know if Yakima roof-top tent can be put on model y with roof rack. From weight standpoint, is it safe and feasible? Please let me know if you have experience or other roof-top tent on your model y.

I'm wondering the same thing. I believe the OEM rack is made by Yakima. I'm not sure why Thule hasn't came out with something yet. I heard that Yakima may have exclusive rights for some period of time ... kind of sucks. $450 was too much, but now $500 is crazy.

Brian from i1Tesla has been traveling across the country in his Y with roof top tent. Tons of videos on youtube.

I'm wondering the same thing. I believe the OEM rack is made by Yakima. I'm not sure why Thule hasn't came out with something yet. I heard that Yakima may have exclusive rights for some period of time ... kind of sucks. $450 was too much, but now $500 is crazy.

Brian from i1Tesla has been traveling across the country in his Y with roof top tent. Tons of videos on youtube.
Yes, the OEM rack says "Yakima" on the molded rubber feet.

Just curious, what reasonably aerodynamic rack have you found for any vehicle that costs less? I paid more for the (non-Yakima, non-Thule) rack for my Bolt than for the Tesla rack.

Can the Yakima be removed easily? Are there any roof racks that can be easily installed/removed for road trips?
See my reply here, along with the following post in that thread, which contains photos showing how it goes on. Some people consider it onerous to do all these steps, but for me it's as easy or easier than any roof rack I've had before (Toyota Corolla, Honda Fit, and (most especially) Chevy Bolt).

I try to minimize the number of times I install and remove it (mostly I only need it once a year), because I worry a little about eventually damaging the rubber strip, but I expect it'll be fine for tens or a hundred installs. I prefer the Bolt for around-town things like carrying 2x4s anyway, because I'm nervous about dropping something and cracking the glass roof.

Tesla roof racks? If you have them, what do you think? Are they difficult to install, and will Tesla do it - or is there an additional cost for install? I like the look of a rack but do not see many on the road with them. Wondering why.
Thanks!

I have one on my Model 3, almost exactly the same...actually kind of annoyed they didn't somehow make it compatible w/ both 3/Y but it was pretty easy to install. There are markings on the glass where to slot the brackets in and it took me ~30min. doing it alone.

I've seen reports of people getting them installed for free but most of the time they charge 0.5hr labor, I believe. Some people opt to get it installed from Tesla so they are insured against anything going wrong during installation, i.e., cracking the roof glass. This was more common early on when the instructions told people to tighten the nuts way tighter than they should've been. I just hand tightened them and locked it in place and have never had an issue.

I keep mine on all the time because I like how they look and there is virtually no range impact and very little, if any, noise increase with just the racks themselves.

Reactions: Mullermn and Anser
Recently, while on a cross country trip with my MY, I saw a M3 at a couple of superchargers with what looked like a very large, soft-sided duffel bag strapped onto the roof. I asked the driver about how this rig was holding up, and she really liked how it was performing. Apparently, no slippage or getting repositioned on the roof even driving long distances. I was surprised how it was staying on the roof. Driver did mention there was a small hit to the range efficiency, but not terrible.

I had a setup like that a long time ago. The main thing that sucked about it, was all the bugs that hit the bag... It was really gross... That's when I decided that I would stick to roof boxes... The Thule box I have now, I don't actually remember seeing any bugs at all on it.. Tho you really never have to deal with the front of the box, since you open it from the side... But the bag was gross, becuase you have to take the bag down to access the stuff in it, and when you do that, the bugs get everywhere.

Reactions: TwelveVoltMan
Are there any other manufacturers making roof rack for Tesla model y 2020?

I’ve been watching to buy it since last year, and its price even increased in 2021, which I didn’t really expect.. really? Price increase on accessories?

I’d also like to know if Yakima roof-top tent can be put on model y with roof rack. From weight standpoint, is it safe and feasible? Please let me know if you have experience or other roof-top tent on your model y.
Hey man, we are TESERY team. We focus on Tesla accessories, and we provide OEM Tesla roof racks for Model Y and Model 3. The Tesery Model 3/Model Y roof rack is made of top-quality aluminum alloy material, it's lightweight and strong enough to hold those cargoes you put on it that don't fit in the trunk like bikes, skis, kayaks, tents, etc. You can visit the product page through this link to learn more details: Tesla Model Y Roof Rack Aluminum Cargo Cross Bars (Set of 2) Tesla Model 3 & Model Y

Some pictures of the Tesla roof rack:
行李支架_01_副本.jpg

5CC358FB-843E-4FBD-9F46-1530F814112D.jpeg

8A24C0E7-0FFE-4D28-9F93-E73D25F83B3D.jpeg

98EEFFFB-D6BF-429A-B55E-8FF51E9CE420.jpeg