Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack In Stock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if they fixed the issue with the mounting bolts. I recall in the main thread about the roof rack that many had reported at least one of the bolts snapping either during or after installation.

I wonder if they fixed the issue with the mounting bolts. I recall in the main thread about the roof rack that many had reported at least one of the bolts snapping either during or after installation.

In Feb, I ordered the rack but then canceled the order as the stories started rolling in around broken J-clips. Eventually people got replacements directly from Yakima. Given that Tesla got the heads up that there was a widespread issue and got Yakima to remediate, this latest replenishment in stock SHOULD come with the fixed J-clips.

The replacement clips were gray, whereas the problematic ones were black. Although the original batch back in December 2018 had black clips that were fine. So it's unclear to me if the new clips will still be gray, or if they will be black.

I ordered the rack last night. Will post back on how the J-clips hold up and what color they are.

• Disagree
Reactions: N54TT
In Feb, I ordered the rack but then canceled the order as the stories started rolling in around broken J-clips. Eventually people got replacements directly from Yakima. Given that Tesla got the heads up that there was a widespread issue and got Yakima to remediate, this latest replenishment in stock SHOULD come with the fixed J-clips.

The replacement clips were gray, whereas the problematic ones were black. Although the original batch back in December 2018 had black clips that were fine. So it's unclear to me if the new clips will still be gray, or if they will be black.

I ordered the rack last night. Will post back on how the J-clips hold up and what color they are.

@novox77,

Let us know.

Ski

Thanks for posting this, btw. I'd been checking back every week or so but it was always out of stock. I added a google alert (Google Alerts - Monitor the Web for interesting new content) for 'tesla model 3 roof rack' about a month ago for daily alerts. I got the alert for pointing to this post about 12hrs after you posted it and luckily it was still in stock (it's not anymore). Very prescient as well since I just bought a new bike yesterday! It wasn't a noisy alert so you could probably safely set the alert for 'as-it-happens' instead of the default of 'at most once per day'.

Reactions: Remonster

@novox77,

Let us know.

Ski

Got mine a few days ago, clips were the gray ones

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Anyone have suggestions on an aerodynamic cargo box to minimize the efficiency hit? And one that does not overhang the windshield too much?

Thanks!

I have this box: WB700 Aero Compact Cargo Carrier and I planned on using it on my Model S before I traded that in for the Model 3.
On the Audi, I went from approx 28mpg to 24mpg freeway (70-80mph) with the box on, so it will still make a dent on your efficiency but the aerodynamic shape definitely improves efficiency compared to a similar sized box.

I still don't have a roof rack yet for the Model 3 but eventually I will convince the wife to get rid of the Audi and will get some real efficiency data.

I have this box: WB700 Aero Compact Cargo Carrier and I planned on using it on my Model S before I traded that in for the Model 3.
On the Audi, I went from approx 28mpg to 24mpg freeway (70-80mph) with the box on, so it will still make a dent on your efficiency but the aerodynamic shape definitely improves efficiency compared to a similar sized box.

I still don't have a roof rack yet for the Model 3 but eventually I will convince the wife to get rid of the Audi and will get some real efficiency data.
Thanks!

Okay, now the roof racks are on sale in the Dutch, Swiss and Nordic online shops, but they will not ship to France or Germany or Italy or Spain, only to the countries that have online shops. Very weird and not very helpful.
Of course the car itself is apparently still on its way. They'll let me know when I can collect it (from Bordeaux, some 500 km away) in 'coming weeks'.
Not confidence-inspiring service!

to confirm what others have reported, the J-clips are the gray ones, which are the same as the replacements Yakima sent out to the February batch that came with defective black J-clips.

I was watching a couple videos of people installing their roof rack and noticed that the clear anti-abrasion stickers looked awful (full of bubbles and wrinkles):
upload_2019-5-2_10-27-49.png

YUCK!

There's an easy trick to applying stickers perfectly - wet down the surface with soapy water. Then you can glide the sticker into place, push out the bubbles, and then just let it dry. Here's a photo 24 hours after I applied the sticker:

upload_2019-5-2_10-21-52.png

I know most of that will get covered by the rubber feet, but if you're obsessive about this stuff like me, give the soapy water technique a try.

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-2_10-25-48.png
    upload_2019-5-2_10-25-48.png
    362.6 KB · Views: 52
Reactions: ajlja