Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack - Model S Whispbar on Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone attempted to install the original Tesla-branded Whispbar for Model S on a Model 3? The rack rails appear to be the same design as the new Model 3 [branded] bars, but the mounting hardware is quite different. The mounting hardware is similar to the Yakima Baseline/Baseclip syste. But I can't find any confirmation that any of that is compatible.

Attachments

• fedex racks.jpg
    fedex racks.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 250
I got the racks and put them on. Well I could see no way to use any of my model S Whisbar rack parts. The attachments to the footpad, bar length , bar width and height are different.

I absolutely love the racks though. Had no trouble with the length of the threads.bolt. If you just grasp the bolt with pliers and pull it taught, I found there were at least 4 or 5 thread revolutions, if not more. I never did approach reach the full 8nm on my torque wrench. There is still a small space between the glass and the rack plastic so I felt that no pressure was applied to the glass. It felt solid...it aint goin nowhere

I thought it was very well designed. I also felt it was easier to put on than the model S because the length required no adjustment. It has the groove for the whisbar/Yakima bicycle rack.

I was surprised that it was slightly wider across than the model S rack, and will easily hold 2 side by side surfboards or a bicycle and a surfboard. It is also lower on the outside and the foot pads are more aerodynamic than the model S whisbars.

It is much much quieter than the model S whisbars. I heard a little around 60 mph but went away at 65. I thought the whisbars were loud and dont think I will notice the Model 3 wind noise.

Attachments

• IMG_1069.jpg
    IMG_1069.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 207
  • IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 209
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_1094.jpg
    IMG_1094.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 201
  • racks.jpg
    racks.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 195
I love these roof racks! So much better than the Model S Whisbars. Virtually zero wind noise until I put my bicycle and a surfboard/padding on then its like a hurricane as expected.

They are so well designed than despite being tightened down so tight that it can't possibly budge, I can slide a credit card between the rack plastic and the glass on the roof. It is definitely not putting any direct pressure on the glass, though if you tightened it to absurdity it might but I'm not going to be the one to test this.

It fits fairly far forward in the downward slope of the roof so even if you could figure a way to put on a different rack, the downward slope would wreak havoc with wind noise and drag. You would need a way to adjust the angle. I believe the model 3 Yakima's have this adjustment capability but I do not like the way the Yakima's go over the chrome above the window and could potentially damage the chrome strip or the window glass itself when it self seals when closing the door. Plus they are 100.00 more. My advice is to wait for the Tesla's to become available again.

I plan to just keep them on given the lack of wind noise and measurable increase in wh/m. I see absolutely no increase, and I like the way they look. I have also take them off and put them back on in less than 10 minutes, and with practice I think I could get it down to 5 minutes....But I'm going to just leave them on.

Attachments

• IMG_1113.jpg
    IMG_1113.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_1115.jpg
    IMG_1115.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1117.jpg
    IMG_1117.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1120 (1).jpg
    IMG_1120 (1).jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 195
  • Helpful
Reactions: Eugene Ash
I love these roof racks! So much better than the Model S Whisbars. Virtually zero wind noise until I put my bicycle and a surfboard/padding on then its like a hurricane as expected.

They are so well designed than despite being tightened down so tight that it can't possibly budge, I can slide a credit card between the rack plastic and the glass on the roof. It is definitely not putting any direct pressure on the glass, though if you tightened it to absurdity it might but I'm not going to be the one to test this.

It fits fairly far forward in the downward slope of the roof so even if you could figure a way to put on a different rack, the downward slope would wreak havoc with wind noise and drag. You would need a way to adjust the angle. I believe the model 3 Yakima's have this adjustment capability but I do not like the way the Yakima's go over the chrome above the window and could potentially damage the chrome strip or the window glass itself when it self seals when closing the door. Plus they are 100.00 more. My advice is to wait for the Tesla's to become available again.

I plan to just keep them on given the lack of wind noise and measurable increase in wh/m. I see absolutely no increase, and I like the way they look. I have also take them off and put them back on in less than 10 minutes, and with practice I think I could get it down to 5 minutes....But I'm going to just leave them on.

+1

They nailed it on the design
Sweet Rack

Peace and love!

Reactions: Jbailey