Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack - New Yakima clips too long to get to 8Nm torque?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Xebec

Mar 20, 2019
PA
Hey Folks -

I'm one of the February roof rack batch buyers that arrived with the 'bad' clips. Upon installing with the new (grey/silver) clips from Yakima and upon installing the roof rack, I found the bolts to be a bit too long to properly torque with a torque wrench + allen key attachment. The wingnuts would start to strip as the tool didn't have enough material to grab onto.

I was curious if any others had suggestions?. I've searched YT, and the three videos there all show hand tightening with the video owner saying "good enough". I'd like to ensure I hit the torque spec since I'll be carrying ~ 120 lbs of kayaks on top.

The manual spec is 8Nm +/- 1Nm, and I was able to get the front two just above 7Nm before the tool couldn't grab anymore, but the rear I could only get to ~ 6Nm.

Thanks..

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
If you look at the way the bolt gets locked into place when you lock the roof rack, you will see there is no way the bolt can loosen. I hand tightened all the bolts and agree with the YT owners who said 'good enough.' 6-7nm is overkill in my opinion. You will be fine.

If you look at the way the bolt gets locked into place when you lock the roof rack, you will see there is no way the bolt can loosen. I hand tightened all the bolts and agree with the YT owners who said 'good enough.' 6-7nm is overkill in my opinion. You will be fine.

Thank you - I didn't notice until you mentioned it - the lock pushes a pin up and prevents the wingnut from backing out. Hmm..