Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Rack Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are interested in a Model Y roof rack (when they come back in stock) we want to put a Yakima box on top of it for additional storage when we go camping.

My question is with a box on top does anyone have experience with range loss and estimated real world range? I assume the box would be preferable to towing a trailer (its def easier to stop at a charger with)

any feedback would be helpful

i found this video on youtube but the test is with and w/o roof rack but no storage. he says there's a 1% difference in with just the rack installed lol

i wanted to order it as well. i didn't know it was out of stock. i'm torn between roof rack or hitch. mainly for bicycles.

We are interested in a Model Y roof rack (when they come back in stock) we want to put a Yakima box on top of it for additional storage when we go camping.

My question is with a box on top does anyone have experience with range loss and estimated real world range? I assume the box would be preferable to towing a trailer (its def easier to stop at a charger with)

any feedback would be helpful
The rack is back in stock—I ordered one this afternoon. Get ‘em while they last…

I just installed the Tesla roof rack and it whistles over 40mph. It's not true that all racks cause noise. I have a rack on my VW Atlas and it's quiet, definitely no whistle. I informed Tesla corp and they said to make a service appointment at one of their service centers. The Los Angeles service center said they're aware of the problem and don't have a solution yet. I wrote back to Tesla corp to inform them of this and they said to just return it, but didn't offer a replacement. My guess is this is hit-or-miss with these things, but for $500 they should get this right IMO. Are there any other rack options out there that work?

• Funny
Reactions: Grandpa Gebis
I just installed the Tesla roof rack and it whistles over 40mph. It's not true that all racks cause noise. I have a rack on my VW Atlas and it's quiet, definitely no whistle. I informed Tesla corp and they said to make a service appointment at one of their service centers. The Los Angeles service center said they're aware of the problem and don't have a solution yet. I wrote back to Tesla corp to inform them of this and they said to just return it, but didn't offer a replacement. My guess is this is hit-or-miss with these things, but for $500 they should get this right IMO. Are there any other rack options out there that work?
This is what I was concerned with.

I went in the roof rack specialty store in Pasadena and they told me there aren’t any and to try the Yakima wind diffuser.

Uuggghhhhh — my OEM Tesla Roof Rack for the Y just arrived this evening and I was looking forward to installing it this weekend…. The OEM rack I had on my Model 3 (before it was totaled <sigh>) was whisper quiet and I, seemingly erroneously, assumed the same would be true for the Model Y version. Time will tell ‘cause it’s going on this weekend regardless.

Mine is fairly quiet as well. Maybe a slight whistle or wind noise, but nothing that isn't drown out by music or just talking. I think its also acceptable that cross bars make a sound, its just going to happen. A few people have had luck with vortex strips from other racks, seems like a decent way to combat the noise.

I have a slight whistle with the OEM bars on there.

it appears there’s little to no range loss with the bars alone.

I did a recent 360 mile trip camping. We drove from NC to southwestern Virginia so some decent elevation gain. 7 people, 1 tiny dog, a hitch carrier with large cooler etc. AND a Thule XL roof box on top.
I averaged about 290 Wh/mile, so maybe just 10-15% worse than usual. bottom line- the bars and box are worth it if you need it.

I remove the bars when not using them because of whistling and my preferred look.

Attachments

• A2770A95-F7EB-42ED-ABC8-BC7C30883148.jpeg
    A2770A95-F7EB-42ED-ABC8-BC7C30883148.jpeg
    883.7 KB · Views: 3,108
Reactions: cdub
I’ve only tried the OEM Tesla rack and I can confirm that, in the case of the Model Y, it does make a slight whistle. It’s not bad, but it is definitely present, decidedly more so than my prior Model 3 with the ”same” OEM rack. Strange, and a bit disappointing, but not enough so that I will remove the rack (for now) as I like it and use it often. YMMV

I got the rack installed a few weeks ago and honestly hear *maybe* a little more wind noise above 70MPH, but that's me listening for it with no music. For someone who had early 90s Yakima racks from my days in Colorado, this thing is pretty damn silent. If noise is a concern, my advice would be buy it.

Jim

Reactions: cdub and AlexHung