Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof rack t-slot/rubber

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, I have had a roof rack on my 2018 3 for a while now and have always used under mount accessories, but last fall I had the unfortunate result of the under mount piece hitting the roof glass and cracking it during install. So recently bought t-bolts in the hopes of using the t slots, but trying to install them has me at my wits end. I am trying to essentially compress the rubber and get the t-bolt to slide overtop and can only get it to go a few inches. I have tried to lubricate it with soap and water but still to no avail. I do not want to cut the rubber at all as I have many accessories (j-hooks, bike mounts, boxes etc). I also don’t think it is wise to remove the rubber as I am not sure how to re-install. Does anyone have any tips or can maybe share a video on installing them or even have a video of removing and re-installing the rubber?

Thanks, much appreciated.

I actually have the same exact question. I tried shoving the t-bolt in a bit and it didn't go far with the rubber in the groove. Most videos show installation without the rubber in place which begs the question of impact to aero dynamics and noise (whistling). From what I have seen recently, seems some folks cut the rubber. That way when you insert/remove the accessory from the rack, you simply slide in/out the piece closest to you. It still sounds wonky too me. 🤷‍♂️ I gave up on the idea and just use the under mounts trying to be careful they don't hit the glass roof. If there is an elegant solution would be interested to learn for sure.

Edit: See the official Thule video @0:03 mark for the cut rubber removed and seemingly inserted back @0:18.

Last edited:
I got the T bolts for my Yakima ski racks in with brute force. It wasn't easy, but it does work. The main thing is gripping the bolt as low as you can, so you're applying force parallel to the slot, and not torquing the bolt downward. That said, I've been driving around with bare bolts sticking up for the past month because I can't be bothered to pull them back out

I found it fairly easy as soon as I used a little tool to lower the rubber in front of the t bolt
IMG_3412.jpeg

Reactions: xavier847