Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof rack (where buy) and Thule compatibility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to buy a roof rack for my m3.
I can't seem to be able to buy it from the Tesla shop. I can add the bars to my basket but I'm unable to check out as it either times out or I get a 403 error...
Anyone had similar issues?
Can you buy roof racks at SC?

Also, are the roof bars compatible with my Thule 598 bike rack? Do I need any adapters?

Thanks. That's a good idea I just discovered the places where I want to take my bike has a 2m height limit so roof rack is not a option.

I'm kicking myself for not ordering a towbar :(

I guess I'll have to continue to put my muddy bike in the boot with seats down. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: navt and Ant M3
A Tesla supplied without a factory tow hitch is registered with 0 kg tow weight capacity. When legally using a tow hitch on any UK vehicle, this weight limit needs to be adhered to. If the tow limit is not sufficient for the purposes, a tow hitch must be fitted to UK standards and the vehicle recertified and documentation updated to match the new capacity. Basically, you cannot do a DIY install.

fwiw, the official Model 3 tow hitch is the Vertically Detachable Towbars – Westfalia-Automotive (westfalia-automotive.com). They also have a useful FAQ. The last time I looked, the Westfalia tow hitch was not available for retrofit on a Model 3. I have dealt with Westfalia/Horizon Global in the past and they have been very helpful.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ant M3
The only issue that I have with either Roof Rack (Tesla or Taptes) is the range loss. If you could attach a small base plate to the roof that would only protrude a half inch or so above the Roofline it would be great, but that is not available at this time.

Once you have installed the Rack you are not going to want to take it on and off for fear of damaging the glass or edge of the roof. The mounting screws are located under the rubber edge of the roof and mounting the rack is pretty straight forward, but the wind resistance is going to be significant.

Open your window at Highway speeds and stick your arm out, do you feel the wind buffeting on your arm, you bet... That is the wind resistance, what do you think that having 2 of these on your roof is going to do. Now think about the range impact. I would like to see two Model Ys, identical Models drive side by side at 70 m/hr (113 km/hr) to see how the kWh/mile compares.

The only issue that I have with either Roof Rack (Tesla or Taptes) is the range loss. If you could attach a small base plate to the roof that would only protrude a half inch or so above the Roofline it would be great, but that is not available at this time.

Once you have installed the Rack you are not going to want to take it on and off for fear of damaging the glass or edge of the roof. The mounting screws are located under the rubber edge of the roof and mounting the rack is pretty straight forward, but the wind resistance is going to be significant.
To each his own, but I have installed and removed my roof rack probably 20 times in a little over 1 year. I take my time and follow the instructions to ensure I've caught the metal retainers and never had any issue. I also follow the torque specs.

Has anyone had any experience of this TAPTES Tesla Model 3 Roof Rack, for 2017 to 2021 Model 3 looks like the OEM but for half the price. Too good to be true?
I dis-regarded the taptes bars as they are not a roof bar company and the bars are more safety critical than eg a USB hub. I went for the Tesla ones.

Open your window at Highway speeds and stick your arm out, do you feel the wind buffeting on your arm, you bet... That is the wind resistance, what do you think that having 2 of these on your roof is going to do. Now think about the range impact. I would like to see two Model Ys, identical Models drive side by side at 70 m/hr (113 km/hr) to see how the kWh/mile compares.

Having bought and used a set, I'm afraid I disagree with all these points.

'Range Loss' has been found to be under 3% with just the bars on (long, boring but very thorough investigation here:
). I had mine on from Oct through to Jan (initially lazy, then just too cold and miserable out to take them off) and they made 0 practical difference, including on some longer trips. They do add a bit of noise, but just a whoosh, not a squeal or any thing. Holding your arm out of the window is nothing like having an aero shaped roof bar attached.

Easy to put on and off. If your glass is reasonably central and you read it through carefully you will be fine. I guess a nice clear video would probably help - if there isn't one online shout me and I'll do one. The Tesla ones come with a 'tool' to make it easier, but really its just a shaped bit of plastic to hold the rubber seal out of the way while you put the bolts in the right place. Absolutely no harder or annoying than the bars on my old car.

• Informative
Reactions: Zigway and Ant M3
Be great to see a straightforward comparison of the range loss of 2 bikes on the roof vs 2 bikes on a tow bar rack. I'd buy a used Model 3 but carrying bikes on the outside of the car is a must and used Model 3s with a tow bar aren't exactly common.

Putting 4 on the tow bar had a much smaller impact than I expected. I think we visualise them as solid lumps to drag through the air, when really they are a series of small narrow tubes. Even on a tow ball, the added surface area isn't mad, and on the roof it might be even better.

The rage loss I experienced was offset by going at the actual speed limit instead of +7%

Any info from the ICE world that can be read across?

Reactions: KendoNagasaki