Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

roof rack (whispbar) for 2015 (new) panoramic roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed the Whispbar roof rack for my 85D (Aug 2015, new pano).

The Whispbar came with all the components needed, however, the installation instructions are not great.

The nice things with the new attachment points/cover on the new panoramic roof is that you actually don't need to put protective tape on the glass roof.

Once you disregard what is not needed, it's pretty straight forward.

IMG_2463.jpg
IMG_2464.jpg
IMG_2465.jpg
IMG_2466.jpg
IMG_2467.jpg
IMG_2468.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

35.5" between the front and back.
14" behind the back to the open trunk glass.

Looking for the appropriate cargo carrier now.

Yes, I do it the same way and it just takes a few minutes. I have been keeping it in the "trunk" and just pop it on when needed secondary to the wind noise which is really loud...and I have hearing aids!. Let me know if you find an effective way to reduce the wind noise.

1) There is a video linked of the product page on the Tesla Store that is much more useful than the instructions that come in the box
2) I have had Whispbars for a couple of used and used them extensively. The tape is really to protect the paint, not the glass. On road trips, fine dirt and grit will get between the rubber boot and the paint and the natural flexing of the boot will cause some abrasion (learned this the hard way). \Not sure where the mount points are on the newer cars, but from the pics, it looks like the outside of the boot is still on a painted surface--maybe something to keep an eye on.

Yes, I do it the same way and it just takes a few minutes. I have been keeping it in the "trunk" and just pop it on when needed secondary to the wind noise which is really loud...and I have hearing aids!. Let me know if you find an effective way to reduce the wind noise.
On one of my former Subies (sorry, Subaru), I had a similar Thule setup installed at the point of purchase, and I opted-out of the deflector (see pic).
I left the retailer, opened the sunroof while pulling out of the lot, and then immediately turned around because I could not stand the whistling wind noise. I bought the deflector and it made a difference. It was still noisy, but much less annoying. I don't know if the more aerodynamic whisp bar already reduces wind noise.
870XT_Fairing_oc_6.jpg

So, just a few minutes for both installation and removal?

yes...once you initially put the bar together adjusting the length, you don't have to do this again. After the initial set up, for all future placements:

...pop open all 4 plastic covers on the top of the car...screw in the 4 bolts by hand...place the foot pads on top...pull the cross bars out of the trunk, place on top of foot pads...place covers over foot pads hand tighten nuts on the 4 bolts....pop on outside covers, lock with keys....done.

4-5 minutes to put on tops
2 minutes to take off

probably faster with a little practice....after the initial set up

1) There is a video linked of the product page on the Tesla Store that is much more useful than the instructions that come in the box
2) I have had Whispbars for a couple of used and used them extensively. The tape is really to protect the paint, not the glass. On road trips, fine dirt and grit will get between the rubber boot and the paint and the natural flexing of the boot will cause some abrasion (learned this the hard way). \Not sure where the mount points are on the newer cars, but from the pics, it looks like the outside of the boot is still on a painted surface--maybe something to keep an eye on.

Interesting. I will check with my clear bra guy to see if he can perhaps add it on that section so I don't need the tape or to see edges.

Interesting. I will check with my clear bra guy to see if he can perhaps add it on that section so I don't need the tape or to see edges.

I don't have the roof racks but my detailer specifically recommended adding XPEL to those areas bordering the panoramic roof to protect from the roof rack mounts in case I ever wanted them mounted. Apparently it's very easy to scratch those areas.

On one of my former Subies (sorry, Subaru), I had a similar Thule setup installed at the point of purchase, and I opted-out of the deflector (see pic).
I left the retailer, opened the sunroof while pulling out of the lot, and then immediately turned around because I could not stand the whistling wind noise. I bought the deflector and it made a difference. It was still noisy, but much less annoying. I don't know if the more aerodynamic whisp bar already reduces wind noise.
View attachment 110835

Whisper has a video comparison of noise from other racks compared to theirs. Huge difference.