TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roof rack WITHOUT panoramic roof?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Peter_M, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

Is anyone aware of an after-market roof rack for the Model S without the pano roof? Or any company that might be working on one? I can imagine it could be difficult to make it work with the frameless doors, but the roof rack companies like Thule and Yakima and Whispbar make fit kits for all kinds of cars. I was aware when ordering our Model S that there was no roof rack option at the time, but I was hoping someone would eventually come out with one, and the lack of a rack is one of the few reasons we still need another car.

2. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

What do you need to carry? SeaSucker has vacuum cup options for bikes, kayaks, skis and surfboards. I'm not sure how the "hook" type systems would work that fit between the window and frame.

3. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

I typically carry one or two 16' canoes (around 60 lbs each). I'm not sure I'd trust the suction cup type. I wouldn't be worried about them coming off, but I think the weight needs to be on the edges of the roof outside the rain track, not on the roof sheet metal.

For now, we have another car that can carry the canoes - I'm just looking ahead to a time when we might be able to manage with one car, and the roof rack thing will become a limitation then.

Does anyone have a roof rack for any other kind of car with frameless doors?

4. tomp

tomp Member

I had looked into this before getting my car. I did not find a definite solution, so that is partly why I went for the pano roof