TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Roof rack

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by mike25, Apr 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. mike25

mike25 New Member

Anybody know if the model 3 will have the options for a roof rack?

This will be helpful to mitigate the small truck opening.

2. GSP

GSP Member

The Model S supports roof racks with the pano roof option. The Model 3 is said to have a pano roof option (also metal roof and fixed glass options). So we can hope for a roof rack. It would be a smart move, and Tesla is pretty smart.

The Model 3 will have a trailer hitch option (per Elon's tweets), allowing bike rack, ski rack, and other options for luggage.

GSP

• Informative x 1
  3. ChooseGreen

ChooseGreen Member

I'm not trying to be over dramatic: if a roof rack weren't available, it would be a deal killer for me. Otherwise, there it would be difficult/finnickey/nerve wracking to put a canoe on the roof with all of that glass.

If a telescopic roof rack were possible such that it could hang out in the frunk while not in use and fairly easy to put on and take off, that would be amazing! There is the dream. Sweet EV canoe trips!

4. Zoomit

Zoomit Part 3 Awaiter

As GSP said, a better option for more storage is a hitch-mounted box or basket. Here're some examples:
    This is why I was so excited to hear that a tow hitch receiver would be an option. A box or basket is:
    • Easier to access than a roof box
    • Doesn't compromise your range (a roof box increases the car's drag, which would be especially noticeable on the Model 3 at high speeds.)
    • Volume is more flexible and easier to pack because it's more rectangular than the roof boxes.
    • Easier to mount than a roof box (no lifting overhead with the potential to drop it on the car)
    • Plus they add a few feet to your crumple zone and don't raise the car's center of gravity.
    The downsides are:
    • They make access to the trunk more challenging
    • They may play havoc with rear distance sensors and possibly autopilot
    • You may need to move your license plate to them so it's visible and legal

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  5. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

We used a carrier basket + cargo bag on a recent trip to Wisconsin. It got a thorough testing due to heavy rain and snow during the trip. Worked great, nothing got wet.

IMG_7010.jpg

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. mike25

mike25 New Member

I still prefer a roof rack. Longer items like skis don't fit in a transporter, what about a kayak? For the hitch I will reserve if for a bike rack. Both option are best in my option, give you more flexibility.

• Like x 1
  7. Zoomit

Zoomit Part 3 Awaiter

#7 Zoomit, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    I don't think anyone thinks that a hitch box can replace the functionality of a roof rack for long items; because physics.

However, if you're looking for "more storage" for items that would otherwise fit in a trunk, they're definitely something to consider.

One other point I'll add is that we can thank the popularity of SUVs for hitch boxes. They weren't a thing 15 years ago but the availability of hitches on SUVs, which are big but often aren't that great as far as internal volume, has lead to these products.

You don't see the hitch boxes on cars much, simply because many cars don't have hitches. This is a product of the US legal system that scared manufacturers away from allowing small cars to tow. They do this by putting weasel words in the manuals..."This vehicle is not capable of towing." In Europe, many of the same cars have tow ratings.

Quick, name ANY sedan available in the US with a factory tow hitch option??

Edit: I made a new thread, please answer that question there: Do any other sedans offer factory tow hitches in the US?

8. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

One more downside of a hitch basket: Squats the rear end of the car with the cantilevered weight. Not a big issue on SUVs and pickups, but can be a problem on small cars with more compliant suspensions. With the cargo weight unevenly distributed, the handling and suspension action can be compromised (more than if that same weight were on the roof, evenly distributed to the wheels, even though the CG is higher). This I know from experience!

Oh, and while the back of the car isn't as important to aero as is the roof, it still counts. And you will still lower the aero efficiency of the vehicle by adding cargo back there. But certainly not as much as having it on the roof.

9. Zoomit

Zoomit Part 3 Awaiter

Excellent point, EVnut. A hitch box is not the place to hold heavy items, and the boxes themsolves can weight 60+ lbs.

Like in the X, the hitch option may require the Smart Air Suspension, which would reduce the squat and associated evils to the suspension geometry. The rear overhang in the Model 3 does looks pretty short though. That reduces the moment arm for any hitch loads.

10. GSP

GSP Member

Good point EVnut. At least with the Model 3 having RWD the weight in back will provide more traction from the drive wheels. The weight transfer in a FWD car would more of a problem.

GSP

11. EVnut

EVnut Darell, the EVnut

#11 EVnut, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Yes indeed, and I'd forgotten about that. I haven't had a RWD car in... forever. It never fails to amuse me to see big ol' downforce wings added to the trunk of FWD cars. You know... to add more traction. :)

I find that too many people don't appreciate the moment arm of the hitch + accessories. I see people trying to carry four bikes off the back of a compact car with a 1.25" receiver. That 4th bike is WAAAY back there. The owner figures there's a tongue weight of 200 pounds, and he's only got 150 pounds hanging back there - completely ignoring where that force is (hint: NOT on the end of an assumed 6" tow bar!). Soon after, the hitch (if lucky it is only the hitch) is bent down to the ground permanently.

So yeah... lots to think about when you carry loads on a hitch. :) Something I do all the time, btw.

12. SpiceWare

SpiceWare Member

For us the reason we used it was the car was filled with way more content than normal. We also put the largest items in the car, and just the few small pieces of luggage we'd need for a couple nights at hotels on the drive up, and back, on our trip to Wisconsin. That extra weight in the car would surely have countered any potential issues from adding a small amount of weight off the back of the car.

13. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    glass roof would be perfectly compatible with a seasucker canoe mount, that's what my dad uses