Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As biking season is starting up and both my daughter and I are rearing to go. I went to REI today and bought the Yakima system. Here is what I bought:
1. Control Tower ( Set of 4)
2. Landing Pad 11 (Set of 4)
3. 58" Crossbars (Set of 2)
4. Viper Bike Rack (2 for 2 bikes)

Pics below:
58InchCrossbars.jpg
ControlTower.jpg

LandingPad.jpg
Viper.jpg

It totaled $503 before tax.

Now I am also doing more research and it seems like Yakima has a more aerodynamic system call the Whispbar that I like better but it does not have a fit kit for the Model S yet. You can see the video here:

Hmmm... now I am not sure what I should do. I heard the normal Thule and Yakima bars are quite noisy. Does anyone have insights or opinion on the wind noise? I am concerned since I have the pano roof and sound probably comes through more than a solid roof.

Maybe I will mount the system I bought carefully and see how it looks and sounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
As biking season is starting up and both my daughter and I are rearing to go. I went to REI today and bought the Yakima system. Here is what I bought:

Now I am also doing more research and it seems like Yakima has a more aerodynamic system call the Whispbar that I like better but it does not have a fit kit for the Model S yet. You can see the video here:

Hmmm... now I am not sure what I should do. I heard the normal Thule and Yakima bars are quite noisy. Does anyone have insights or opinion on the wind noise? I am concerned since I have the pano roof and sound probably comes through more than a solid roof.

Maybe I will mount the system I bought carefully and see how it looks and sounds.

Good choice on bike mounts. I really like fork mounts. I tend not to like the 'aero' rack bars. They are generally not nearly as strong or durable as the heavy steel bars you get standard.

As for noise I don't think the 'aero' bars are going to help much. But yes roof racks do produce a ton of noise (why I have never had a sunroof until now). The only thing that can really reduce the noise is getting a front faring for the rack. Back when I was selling these things, at REI, (2001-2005) the recent Toyota Sienna noise level would go from howling to almost silent. But it really depends on your setup. It won't make it worse, but might not help. It will help with 'aero' a little bit.

Generally REI will return anything, so put a faring on your car drive it a couple of times and return it if it doesn't help. I think it will. Plus it make the rack look so much better.

Yakima 50" Fairing accessories Rack System

You need to make sure this is the correct width. I imagine the 50" is correct, but didn't check at all.

- - - Updated - - -

I recommend mounting your roof rack. And seeing if it produces too much noise. Then add on a faring to see if it helps. I only recommended fairings for looks, and to people with Toyota Siennas when they first bought their racks.

Tim

AutoBody shop.... One of my clients owns one in Brooklyn and installed it for me... Also had the cars front end (and full hood) wrapped as well.... Torklift Central were the ones that said to go to an AutoBody shop.

Aaron

Tim

AutoBody shop.... One of my clients owns one in Brooklyn and installed it for me... Also had the cars front end (and full hood) wrapped as well.... Torklift Central were the ones that said to go to an AutoBody shop.

Aaron

Do you know if the modification affects Tesla warranties at all. Looks awesome. I have a Kuat NV Rack that would go perfect on a rear 2" hitch.

I'm waiting on the car to see, but from Yakima it looks like you can use the BMW 1 Series to find a fitment (except width of the bars) for Thule. Based on that For Thule AeroBlade bars you'd buy the following:
* 460R Rapid Podium Foot Pack
* ARB60 60" AeroBlade Load Bar Pair (Or maybe the ARB53 53", but won't know until sizing it up)
* KIT 3039

I'll see when it comes in and have to go through it.

THE FIT KITS ARE CAR SPECIFIC! DO NOT EXPECT A BMW 1 SERIES FITMENT TO WORK!

Seriously another car's fit kit are highly unlikely to fit the Model S. They are custom shaped plastic, and rubber feet that contour to the roof of the vehicle. Right now I would go Yakima (who has a Tesla Model S fitment, for both roofs even), or wait for Thule. And please send Thule a request for 'Model S' fitment. They DO LISTEN to requests. The more requests the sooner they will have a fitment.

I am waiting for a Thule Solution, as I like their cross bars much better than Yakima. And personally I think the 'aero' cross bars are crap, and a gimmick I recommend the stupid heavy plastic wrapped steel ones. And Yakima has a 58" crossbar fitment, so I assume Thule will be the same. You can always get longer bars, but being as short as the Model S is, I would not recommend getting longer. Your head will pay for in eventually. Bonus for me I already have 58" bars.

Super simple install with the Yakima. Pano opens perfectly, I was concerned about the curve in the center but it clears pretty decently. No sound issues at high speeds (but I don't drive fast). Will probably add another two racks and wheel mounts when the racing season kicks in.

tesla yakima02.jpg
tesla yakima04.jpg
tesla yakima06.jpg
tesla yakima09.jpg
tesla yakima10.jpg
tesla yakima13.jpg
tesla yakima15.jpg

Super simple install with the Yakima. Pano opens perfectly, I was concerned about the curve in the center but it clears pretty decently. No sound issues at high speeds (but I don't drive fast). Will probably add another two racks and wheel mounts when the racing season kicks in.

I installed the Yakima rack that is similar to yours but I ran into a few issues. Did you experience them?
1. If I tighten the front landing pads (landing pad #11) really securely, I could not fit the brackets into them. I had to loosen them a little and then it worked. The back ones did not have this issue. The front ones, relative to each other, had more curvature to deal with when I tried to mount the cross bars.
2. I had a lot of wind noise at 60-70 MPH. I drove it without the bike rack on, just the cross bars

I decided that I will get the Tork Eco Hitch installed instead.

I am glad it worked for you

While I've thrown a few bikes sans wheels in the back to go riding with son on multiple occasions, for me it is a pain to remove the wheels (even though they are quick release!) and put them back on when we get to the trailhead. I end up removing the rear wheels as well as the front to make it easier to fit 2 in the trunk, so end up getting grease on me multiple times, leading to prolific swearing and gnashing of teeth! Definitely ready for a roof rack option.

Thanks, all, for the feedback above - Torklift, Yakima, wait for Thule - hmmm...
Torklift sounds like a pretty invasive install, but best outcome. Airbag and warranty issues? Waiting for clarity there.
Yakima simple and effective, but...
I once had a bike ripped from the roof of my minivan as I pulled into garage after a long trip home.
I have images of pano-roof shards everywhere, making just a mess out of the garage. But could increase pano roff square footage.
Thanks again, All -

I installed the Yakima rack that is similar to yours but I ran into a few issues. Did you experience them?
1. If I tighten the front landing pads (landing pad #11) really securely, I could not fit the brackets into them. I had to loosen them a little and then it worked. The back ones did not have this issue. The front ones, relative to each other, had more curvature to deal with when I tried to mount the cross bars.
2. I had a lot of wind noise at 60-70 MPH. I drove it without the bike rack on, just the cross bars

I decided that I will get the Tork Eco Hitch installed instead.

I am glad it worked for you

I did not experience the fit problems that you describe. Everything seems to fit pretty well. I don't use it with a bike rack. I intend to use it with a cargo box. I put in a couple of sleeping bags and went for a test drive and it doesn't seem excessively noisy up to 70 - 75 mph. I don't know about the reduction in range. I would think that it would be pretty noticeable but maybe better than bike racks.

Pics below:
View attachment 16320View attachment 16321
View attachment 16322View attachment 16323

at least the Thule aero bars make MUCH less notice than their square ones and they are quite strong. we have thule's largest roof box that we FILL every year for summer vacation. and the bars have no problems handling that

Last edited by a moderator: