Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof racks - what is the holdup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Still no one knows - just a few weeks away from thousands being delivered to Norway )and other European countries that are also frequent roof rack users.) Why is it so hard to give info from Tesla on this? Do they not have a communications dept.?

An interesting response from Thule HQ in Europe:

Thule Support (Thule)

22 Mar, 09:16 CET

hi,
We're sorry but we will not develop any solution for the Tesla 3.
Our engineers tested this car, but they were unable to find a safe and easy-to-mount solution.
Tesla have their own solution, so they might be able to help.

• Informative
Reactions: moltenfire
I've been following the roof rack situation for a while.

2 batches of inventory have been released: once in Dec 2018, and once in Feb 2019. Both times, stock was limited and sold out fast (although in Feb, they forgot to mark it out of stock and accidentally got way more orders than what they carried).

First batch: quality was good, except the J-bolt was not quite long enough and some people had difficulty securing the rack with the lock nut.

Second batch: they fixed the J-bolt length by lengthening the bolt part by about.... 3/16" by my eye's approximation. But they introduced a very serious flaw: those J-bolts were really brittle and would break. Discussion on these forums seem to come to the consensus that the manufacturer forgot the annealment step. After many people reported the problem, Tesla contacted the manufacturer, later revealed to be Yakima, and Yakima sent out replacement J-bolts to all owners of the Feb batch.

The new J-bolts are silver in appearance, instead of black.

No word on when the next batch will be released.

I've been following the roof rack situation for a while.

2 batches of inventory have been released: once in Dec 2018, and once in Feb 2019. Both times, stock was limited and sold out fast (although in Feb, they forgot to mark it out of stock and accidentally got way more orders than what they carried).

First batch: quality was good, except the J-bolt was not quite long enough and some people had difficulty securing the rack with the lock nut.

Second batch: they fixed the J-bolt length by lengthening the bolt part by about.... 3/16" by my eye's approximation. But they introduced a very serious flaw: those J-bolts were really brittle and would break. Discussion on these forums seem to come to the consensus that the manufacturer forgot the annealment step. After many people reported the problem, Tesla contacted the manufacturer, later revealed to be Yakima, and Yakima sent out replacement J-bolts to all owners of the Feb batch.

The new J-bolts are silver in appearance, instead of black.

No word on when the next batch will be released.
Ah, didn't know about the accidentally forgetting to mark it out of stock thing. Explains why it's been almost two months without a peep. Most companies wouldn't just hold onto your money in that scenario, but I guess Tesla isn't most companies.

Reactions: rosenboss
yes, trying not to get frustrated that I paid for the rack in Feb got confirmation, but nothing shipped and I keep getting 2-4 weeks responses when I inquire. It has now been ~10 weeks and nothing shipping confirmed.

What is the hold up. I canceled my Y order and went with a 3 assuming I could get racks to carry my longer surfboards and try and keep the car clean (first world problems). Love the car but I am really frustrated that Elon can make a rocket but not a rack. Kind of pissed actually.
If anyone in the North Bay has one they want to sell let me know.

Reactions: dmd2005
I'm in the same boat -- ordered my rack on February 6th, but it still has not shipped. And people began receiving replacement clips over a month ago. I've written Tesla twice and haven't been given any definitive answers on when I might actually receive it. Putting my mountain bike in the back of the car is a bit of a pain, so this is becoming frustrating.

I also purchased the Ecohitch hitch (shortly before the roof rack appeared in the Tesla store), but don't want to install it until I have a chance to test out the roof rack. And I bought two Yakima Highroad bike trays for the roof rack, so I have a fair bit invested in this already.

My old car had a roof rack which I used to carry bikes and extension ladders for work. Sold my old car when I was told I would have the rack the end of Feb (of course now after reading the forums here, I find that you can't really rely on what they say...) so now getting roof access at projects has become difficult.

Emailed Tesla again today about this and got this response:

Unfortunately due to high demand, we are currently out of stock of the Model 3 Roof Rack and do not have a replenishment ETA at this time.
I apologize of the inconvenience this has caused.
Please also be advised that we are actively working to improve the customer experience for online orders going forward

Emailed Tesla again today about this and got this response:

Unfortunately due to high demand, we are currently out of stock of the Model 3 Roof Rack and do not have a replenishment ETA at this time.
I apologize of the inconvenience this has caused.
Please also be advised that we are actively working to improve the customer experience for online orders going forward

Well that sucks. I might have to buy the SeaSucker racks. I am very upset about this. A really big reason why I bought the car was because they had racks for it. Feeling duped.

Well that sucks. I might have to buy the SeaSucker racks. I am very upset about this. A really big reason why I bought the car was because they had racks for it. Feeling duped.

I do not recommend going the SeaSucker route. I looked into them when I had my Model S (with the metal roof, so couldn't use the Tesla rack), but didn't like that anyone could steal the entire rack and bike(s) trivially. Also didn't like that I'd need to attach and remove them every time I wanted to haul a bike somewhere. And to attach, you need to make sure the glass is clean, obviously (not difficult to do, but just something else you need to attend to every time you use the rack). And I've seen several reports of people cracking their roof glass when using SeaSuckers on a Model 3, which was enough for me to completely dismiss the notion of using them on my car.

Reactions: CDT
Explains why it's been almost two months without a peep. Most companies wouldn't just hold onto your money in that scenario, but I guess Tesla isn't most companies.
That's because most companies obey the law. Business Guide to the FTC's Mail, Internet, or Telephone Order Merchandise Rule

Quoth the FTC: "If you decide you can ship the order later, you must seek the customer’s consent to the delay. You may use whatever means you wish to do this -- such as the telephone, fax, mail, or email -- as long as you notify the customer of the delay reasonably quickly." "In any event, no notification to the customer can take longer than the time you originally promised or, if no time was promised, 30 days. If you cannot ship the order or provide the notice within this time, you must cancel the order and make a prompt refund."

Reactions: woodguyatl