Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof racks - what is the holdup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the title suggests..... how difficult can it be to mass produce these roof racks? Anybody have info on why this is not in store? With Europe deliveries a mere 6-7 weeks away and thousands of European TM3 owners wanting to bring their skis along to the slopes one would have though Tesla to be prepared?

They looked pretty good to me. They weren’t any more difficult to install than some of the others I’ve used over the years.

I was worried a little about how much they would impact the consumption, but a guy in BC did a test, and they basically use about 10% - 15% more battery while on.
That’s about 50km’s on a full trip. That of course is with a cargo hauler on top of them.
Just the racks on their own saw only about a 2% loss.
I can live with that.

I was against them now....but ended up acquiring a property for summer use about 200 miles away.
I'm actually looking forward to the rack and a pod to bring stuff back and forth.

Hoping they release another batch soon.
I wonder how much stuff you plan to carry on your roof?

Since the Model 3 roof rack doesn't seem to be available for a while (?),
may be installing a hitch would be more practical and versatile:
- you could install a carrier box above the bumper, or
- you could use a small trailer, and additionally
- you could put a removable bicycle carrier for weekend trips...

Using a trailer might have less effect on the drag coefficient,
but using a trailer at high speed might be a stability issue if the trailer is very light.

There is less risk of car body damage, and unless you get some help, putting something
heavier or more cumbersome than a bicycle on a car roof, is not very easier.

The draw back of a trailer is that you need to find a storage for it,
but some of them can be dismantled and kept very flat.

Hauling surfboards

Model 3 Roof Rack Options

@NeverFollow a retrofit hitch will not accomodate my Thule ski box and is most likely not approved for use in Norway either, time will tell on that though whem we get it to see what trailer approval weight it has.

I asked Thule Norway about their progress on their version, they replied they need to get the model 3 to Europe/Norway first before they make one. Why they are not in dialogue with Tesla already is baffling to be honest, same goes with other manufacturers.

I have one in my cart from the last time they were in stock...but when I tried to pay it error'd and said not in stock! C'mon tesla, already had to do a ski trip with one less seat in the back and crowded because I don't have this yet!