Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof screen should be opaque.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we get into the hot part of the year, people are going to start seeing the effects of heat and a glass roof.

I'm thinking of buying the roof screen, but it just seems so stupid that even that screen isn't totally opaque. It's semi transparent. So you're paying for an additional semi transparent layer to go against the already existing semi transparent layer of the roof glass.

The roof screen should be totally opaque, with perhaps a reflective side facing up for maximum heat and light rejection. Hoping someone makes an aftermarket one before long...

I posted this in the other thread but this should be ok for most people: Model 3 Front Glass Roof Sunshade

That's exactly what the OP is talking about. The material is perforated and it lets some light through. Tesla claims it blocks 2/3 of light (or "solar thermal load", which I guess is maybe not exactly the same thing).

(I do wonder if you could find an easy and cheap DIY solution where you just add some opaque material/fabric onto the top of the screen.)

A guy on Youtube did an unpacking/installation review and includes some close-up views and before/after comparisons:

And this video has more close-up views: