Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Seal Glass Big Issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey,
I installed the rubber roof seal gasket wind noise reducer thing a year ago.
Now the gasket tube is going under the corners of the glass
Should i be worried? Im scared of i remove it then water could leak through

Attachments

• 71101A8A-9D55-4BA2-A675-CB6FF6D09C7F.jpeg
    71101A8A-9D55-4BA2-A675-CB6FF6D09C7F.jpeg
    282.4 KB · Views: 632
  • 6E2D6488-49ED-4AAC-831D-72D9A51C5F74.jpeg
    6E2D6488-49ED-4AAC-831D-72D9A51C5F74.jpeg
    277.2 KB · Views: 396
I also installed the roof gasket and kept it in for about 6 months but noticed no wind/noise improvement. I took it out because I noticed it had gone under the glass at one corner and the factory seal now looks misshapen.

I haven't had any water damage in the last ~2-3mo. since I removed it but it definitely concerns me.

the center glass panel OE gasket has flaps (similar to what you see around the rear glass by the trunk) and can be peeled back and easily kinked by the aftermarket loop.

Given the tension at the corners and even along the doors, its possible that the aftermarket insert will eventually eat away at the seals deep below the glass edges, but initially, having them kinked like this does nothing.

Either remove or re-seat around the corners so the insert doesnt kink in like in the photos. It can be done, installed the thicker silicone inserts on two model 3s and neither of them cut in/kink like that after a year on the cars... initially they had a tendency to, just needed a re-seat.

Ideally the sellers should either redesign the corners to have wider glass corner mating flaps or some sort of rounded 90 deg corner guides to prevent this. Plenty of room for that.

• Helpful
Reactions: bbk3e
the center glass panel OE gasket has flaps (similar to what you see around the rear glass by the trunk) and can be peeled back and easily kinked by the aftermarket loop.

Given the tension at the corners and even along the doors, its possible that the aftermarket insert will eventually eat away at the seals deep below the glass edges, but initially, having them kinked like this does nothing.

Either remove or re-seat around the corners so the insert doesnt kink in like in the photos. It can be done, installed the thicker silicone inserts on two model 3s and neither of them cut in/kink like that after a year on the cars... initially they had a tendency to, just needed a re-seat.

Ideally the sellers should either redesign the corners to have wider glass corner mating flaps or some sort of rounded 90 deg corner guides to prevent this. Plenty of room for that.
100% there should be a better design, but from tesla. The wind buffeting is so loud you really have to crank the stereo to get rid of it, and if I had kids that were sleeping it would be sure to take them on windy days.

Reactions: Perscitus
While cleaning my roof area, found rubber parts coming out between two glass, this is terrible. Wish I can upload the pic. here. Don't know how? (yr. 2018 under 30K.miles).
** UPLOADED PIC. see how terrible it looks? Such a shame... on buying car for over $100K.

Are you past 4 years then for the basic warranty?

$100k for a model 3? I hope you mean in pesos not dollars.