Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roof Tint - Cermamic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I’m looking to possibly ceramic tint my roof tomorrow. Also having the front two windows and even the windshield done. I know the roof is already tinted, but can anyone give me statistics on how much sun is actually coming through the roof currently with the factory tint?

I’m curious how much it’s actually blocking because it feels like it does block a lot as it is and what is hot is basically ambient heat that doesn’t go away with any type of tint given it’s just the glass that gets hot and then radiates that heat out. I’d rather tint all windows in ceramic maybe as opposed to tinting just the front two and roof. Either option is about the same cost although roof is a little more overall.

At this point, just wondering where my money is best spent on reducing heat inside the car. Is it by ceramic tinting the roof or by doing the back windows which I know aren’t ceramic and therefor blocking only a little light. Thanks in advance!

If you want the best heat rejection, tint on all the windows with ceramic is the way to go. If you want congruency in looks only the front two windows are needed.

I opted for the latter - 20% front two windows and everything looks consistent. I live in northern VA, very hot summers. I notice the sun through the roof while driving but it’s not “hot” per say. I’m happy with this setup and for me personally not incrementally worth the extra few hundred to tint the rest of the car

I'm interested in tinting my sunroof as well. The shop that I requested a quote from does not encourage tinting of the sunroof (they will do it, but won't provide warranty on it) as they say that due to large size of the roof and the amount of heat that can accumulate on it that their is a chance that the glass can crack!

I'm actually curious about how the various tints work. I know they've said "ceramic" provides the best heat rejection. I've had Huper Optik on my car before. I've noticed that when I put my hand close to the tint/glass, it feels hot. As opposed to non ceramic 3M film that I used on another car before. It doesn't feel as warm. But at the tint shop, they have used some kind of lamp to reproduce heat source where they have me put my hand on the other side and clearly ceramic doesn't let as much heat through. So it's absolutely true that ceramic provides more heat rejection. But does it trap it? and would that be a problem that might cause the sunroof to crack?

• Helpful
Reactions: X-pilot
I'm interested in tinting my sunroof as well. The shop that I requested a quote from does not encourage tinting of the sunroof (they will do it, but won't provide warranty on it) as they say that due to large size of the roof and the amount of heat that can accumulate on it that their is a chance that the glass can crack!

I'm actually curious about how the various tints work. I know they've said "ceramic" provides the best heat rejection. I've had Huper Optik on my car before. I've noticed that when I put my hand close to the tint/glass, it feels hot. As opposed to non ceramic 3M film that I used on another car before. It doesn't feel as warm. But at the tint shop, they have used some kind of lamp to reproduce heat source where they have me put my hand on the other side and clearly ceramic doesn't let as much heat through. So it's absolutely true that ceramic provides more heat rejection. But does it trap it? and would that be a problem that might cause the sunroof to crack?

Ceramic Window Film would trap the heat if the windows were double paned. There have been instances where cracking does occur but that is only on double paned windows with argon gas in between. These windows are mostly built for home.

We've had many Tesla vehicle owners use MotoShield Pro Ceramic Window Tint Film on the panoramic roofs and front windshields. No cracking whatsoever. Just really great heat rejection and UV. Hope this helps!

Reactions: imola.zhp
I put a heat lamp to the glass of my Model Y. I could feel the most heat from the front driver side window. I could still feel heat from the glass roof, but it was much less than the driver side window. I'm not sure. But it seemed like the front windshield rejected some heat too.

I also noticed on a hot day. The class roof was pretty hot to touch. But it did not seem to radiate heat when I put my hand about an inch away from the glass roof.